Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is this possible with hsrp

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiscoGuy79

Technical User
Dec 17, 2004
US
e0--routerA--s0--t1--s0--routerB--e1
<-s1--t1--s1->

e0--routerC--s0--t1--s0--routerD--e1

basically all i want to happen here is if either routerA or routerB serial interfaces go down to swap to routerC and routerD.
Or could I configure the 2 serial interfaces on routerA and B so if s0 goes done it will automatically go to s1 on both ends? (this would be the ideal solution if possible)

sorry i'm such a newb at all of this.
nathan
this is what i found on cisco.com

could someone tell me if that is the right track for solution #1

#2 is the easiest, and it's automatic if a dynamic routing protocol is used. EIGRP is very fast. Basically, with point-point circuites an interface failure on one side, or loss of connection, drops the route from the routing table. The next-best route is then chosen.

You can also use HSRP to move a virtual address between routers. In this case you'd have HSRP "watch" the serial, and switch the ethernet address to the backup router when it fails.

interface tracking will work for this

Lui3
CCNP,CCDA,A+/Net+
Cisco Wireless Specialization

can you use interface tracking on one router? I was reading a cisco article and it doesn't look like it. See the problem that I'm going to run into here is I use bridging. To keep everything on the same network. We are working on a solution to get away from bridging but for now its what we are working with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back