Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this possible in crystal report 8? **** URGENT*****

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberdyne

Programmer
May 1, 2001
IN
I hv used oracle 8.0.5. I am storing RTF formated documents in Blob. CR 8 can fetch this data in reports ?

Pls let me know. this is very urgent. From:
Apoorva Gala
You can mail me at apoo1972@rediffmail.com

What do you need to do with this text?

As long as Oracle will store the RTF data, you should be able to retrieve it, BUT - you will bestoring and retrieving the RTF coding as well as the RTF content AND you won't be able to manipulate, select on, or otherwise use the incoming BLOB in any formulae...:)

ECS DataSystems, Inc.
A Crystal Partner

Hi ! thanks for yr reply.

I want to use this stored document in Blob in my crystal reports. I am using crystal reports 8.5. I want to know how to display Blob field of Oracle in crystal report ?

Pls reply ASAP.
thanks.

Apoorva Gala

Does the field show in the list of available fields? Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

yah fields do show up in available list.

I am creating report too.

I want to display this rtf data in my crystal report. I am getting following erroer when i see in priview pannel. I am using CR 8.5.

Crystal Reports: Database Error.
ODBC ERROR: [ MICROSOFT] [ODBC DRIVER FOR ORACLE][ORACLE]
ORA - 00932 INCONSISTENT DATATYPE.

I hv viewd many web pages of CR and they say 8.5 supports rich text. i wanna know how do connect to blow data type through oracle.

Treat this as very urgent.

Thanks in advance.
Apoorva Gala

Are you trying to manipulate the data in this field in any way? For example, are you attempting to use this in a formula (which CR won't support) or in record selection?
ECS DataSystems, Inc.
A Crystal Partner

It may be that the ODBC driver doesn't support this. CR supports RTF for export. Where did you see that it supports RTF through BLOB? Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting

To EarlGray,

I am not manipulating the data any way.
This is supposed to be my product details page. so they will not change in any way in crystal report. I just wanna hv them as a part of my quotation. so they will be printer as it is.

To kenhamady,

I did this in access where i had memo field. and i pasted the RTF data in this field. And when i viewed in CR it gave perfact results. I am using Oracle so there is doubt is in my mind so i am now checking with just 2 fields viz ID and desc ( Blob type).

about Article ID: c2008534 says about displaying richtext data from database to CR. I am using CR 8.5.

Also if according to you RTF data from Blob can not be displayed in CR then what is the way around ? Pls reply me soon.

Any yes i am so forgotfull,

Thank you both very much for yr continued efforts and suggestions.

regards
Apoorva

Apoorva Gala

It looks like CR should be able to handle it according to the article, but your error is in ODBC. I am not sure how to help you there.
Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting

yahh thanks buddy for yr reply. Now my focus will be on my ODBC connection.
One thing I want to tell u that with the same connection my main program in VB works very fine.

Also if I dont select Blob data type field in my report and select just the id field it shows the data properly. It is just that my Blob field is not being displayed.

If you know cna help me in that it will be of great help.

Thanks and regards

Apoorva From:
Apoorva Gala

Can the VB app pull this BLOB through ODBC? Then it might be a problem with the link between CR and ODBC, like the CR ODBC dll. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back