Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is This Possible in Access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vj2651

Technical User
Nov 22, 2003
US
I have a couple of questions. I want to build an inventory program for my jewelry store. These are the requirements can anyone tell me if this program is possible.

1) There is going to be an inventory table with these fields: Item, Item number, weight, supplier code, price, cost code, and a random number to be the primary key. The first question I have is I need to make the random number a barcode to print onto the jewelry tags. All the other info will be on the back side of the tag. In access is there a way to turn a field into a barcode?

2) After I sell something I need to scan the barcode and have that item removed from the inventory into the sales table. The problem is I never get the price thats listed on the tag so after i scan the item i need to enter the price i recieved and the date sold.

3) The scanned item has to go into the sales table and i want to make reports like weekly sales and sales by item or sales by supplier.

Basically is this system possible in access or do I need to use another system? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

basCodes are possible. the hardware supplys the translation to the ASCII, so the bar code is generally just 'entered' into the current field of focus. Ms. A. is not the best tool for real time transaction processing in a busy environment, but I would think a jwelery store would not have a high enough transaction rate to be an issue. In general, well designed POS systems do not update the inventory in real time for several reasons. such as transaction processing speed, and -perhaps most importantly- the confusion which might occur if the 'stock level' at the end of a transaction returned a nevative value. instead, sales transactions are 'cashed' locally at the terminal and bulk updates are made to inventory are done at other times (after close of business?).

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

Michael I plan on updating the inventory the next morning. So all the sales from the previous day will be scanned and taken out of inventory. I will probably have to create a button so that once all the items are scanned into the sales table I can click the button and delete all the items from the inventory table. Is there anyone on this board that can help me create this program I am willing to pay them. thanks

Barcodes are fonts. You can purchase and download them from the web, and use them just like a regular font.
You can also purchase libraries and call them as objects, like from Wasp, but the former is easier to me.
-Jerry

vj2651

Per my tag line, I would be quite willing to participate, however this falls outside of the Tek-Tips guidelines (no 'recruiting'). Please contact me privately if you are interested.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back