Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this off-topic? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1GHTEYES

Technical User
Jun 18, 2004
GB
This issue touches on NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming). NLP involves how the words we use affect people. So, given that...
"This forum is for light-hearted discussions on words, word usage, grammar, and related topics to improve our ability to communicate effectively and to help project the right image."
... I suspect it is relevant. If not, I'll happily withdraw the question.

Here is the situation:

I will shortly be participating in a "Speedovation" event at work. The basic idea is that:

There are five topics.
Each participant spends 3 minutes with a facilitator on each topic.
During those 3 minutes the facilitator briefly outlines the topic then encourages the participant to brainstorm ideas and suggestions relating to the topic.
The facilitator then captures those ideas and the participant moves on to the next facilitator who deals with the next topic, and a new participant moves in to work with this facilitator.

It is like an idea production line.

Most of the ideas will be repeats, or impractical, or irrelevant etc. However, it is hoped that a few will be new and worthwhile - thus making the event worth the effort.

My question is this - as a facilitator, can I use any NLP techniques in my very brief intro to the topic, to stimulate the participant into a more useful frame of mind - e.g. one in which his ideas flow more freely, or he is more creative etc?

I am aware of NLP, but I've not really studied it, and I don't have the time to do so before the event. Is there anyone on the forum who is sufficiently au fait with NLP to suggest a few key words or phrases which I might work into the intro which could get their mental juices flowing?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Tony

Sam: yes, it should be interesting - I'm looking forward to it. You are right, it is a bit brainstorm-y. And yes, there will be a very strong emphasis on "no idea is a bad idea". That is a fundamental tenet of brainstorming and certainly applies here.

I had already taken it as read that I ought to be encouraging about all ideas supplied, and should avoid any appearance of censure. However, in the heat of the moment, when I'm probably going to be a bit tense and maybe a bit nervous, I might forget, so thanks for reminding me.

Tony

tcsbiz: I've just reread my reply and I think it comes across as a bit bombastic. It was not meant to be quite so strong.

You raised a perfectly valid concern and it looks like I "shouted" at you. Sorry.

Tony

Most of the ideas will be repeats, or impractical, or irrelevant etc. However, it is hoped that a few will be new and worthwhile - thus making the event worth the effort.

If you interview 100 people and 99 of them have the same idea maybe you you should focus on that idea, not the single unique one.

mintjulep: True, and hopefully, ideas that obvious are already being addressed under this particular initiative. One of the major, potential advantages to working with large groups is that the more people you have the more likely it becomes that they will come up with ideas which any one person, working on their own, would simply not have thought of. That is the primary purpose of the event.

However, a useful secondary purpose is to gauge the strength of support on the issues raised, as measured by the number of people who suggest it.

Tony

All I'm trying to do is borrow some of the same techniques that advertisers, the church, politicians and PR companies use on a daily basis "

I tend to think of those as brainwashing and sometimes evil. Sometimes I allow myself to be party to it such as church or a political rally.

As long as the participants know the techniques you are using going in, and they did volunteer, then it's fine.

One can do a great deal of damage in 30 seconds to someone's psyche. Ask anyone who has been verbally attacked and bullied. It only takes a couple of seconds. It's exactly the kind of techniques you are discussing that can be used to cause mental harm. Of course, only being subjected to it once is likely to not cause a problem.

This is a very interesting discussion and good luck on it.

One question; why not simply ask people for suggestions instead of trying to play mental tricks?

I keep trying to do something about my procrastination but I keep putting it off until tomorrow.

tcsbiz said:
One question; why not simply ask people for suggestions instead of trying to play mental tricks?

Where's the fun in that?!? [bigsmile]

==> why not simply ask people for suggestions instead of trying to play mental tricks?
The simple answer is motivation. It's not simply a matter of asking the participants to play along; it's trying to motivate the participants to give their best efforts. It's an attempt to put people in the right frame of mind so they give their best effort.

Coaches motivate their players; project managers motivate their team members; teacher motivate their students. In all of these cases, what you say and how you say it can make all the difference in how the team performs and in helping the players reach their potential.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

project managers motivate their team members

This isn't April 1st is it ;-)

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

tcsbiz is right, this is getting interesting, but way beyond what I'd envisage in my original question.

I'm really not out to create an army of zombie Tony-clones, marching across the world to do my evil will. I can do my own evil will thank you very much. ;-)

And I'm really not out to manipulate people as such, any more than when you smile at someone you are more likely to "manipulate" them to be disposed to you than if you frown at them.

I just want to see if there is any way to improve the chances that they are in a creative frame of mind during the event.

I asked the question here because the forum is filled with clever people with a wide range of interests and I thought that, since we are talking about words, if anyone had done "NLP 101" they might just have been able to point me to some simple, well-known (among NLPers) quick verbal shortcuts to promote creativity.

We seem however to be diverging into the ethics of mind manipulation and thought control - which bears about as much relationship to what I'm talking about as a man flapping his arms does to a jumbo jet.

Still, it is an interesting topic. I look forward to seeing where it goes...

Tony

now as to motivation, how about bacon?

bug-bash20080526.gif

[small]Copyright © 2005 Hans Bjordahl[/small]

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

So, you are suggesting, I take it, that we induce them to supply good ideas by offering free copies of "The Elements of the Common Law of England", or "The New Atlantis"?

Tony

This is why I love being allowed to be a member of MAI. The second tier satire on top of the humorous posts, classic.

how much longer do we have to wait to know how this turns out? Hopefully not long because you have my interest peaked!

"You don't know what you got, till its gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

The event is scheduled to take place on 8/2/12. I'm not sure exactly what metrics I might use to report "how it turns out" as such, but if, before then, I do come up with a specific NLP influenced script, I'll let you know.

Glad you liked the comment. Hopefully, "peaking" your interest will not be the summit of my achievements this year.

Googling works by Bacon was annoyingly easy. Otherwise I could have claimed it was a bit of a PIG.

Feel free to groan.

Tony

New I was going to get hammered for that one. I put it in the twin words thread for good measure.

Now to sulk in shame....

Knew" before I get called out on that "spelling" error too. :(

A new use for the word "new"!

I feel another twin-word entry coming on...

Do you want to or shall I?

(chuckles quietly in the corner for a bit)

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back