Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this Normal on a BCM??

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGT

Vendor
Aug 16, 2002
US
I have a client with a new BCM, latest version, that has been having intermittent T1 outages. On the last outage one of our techs noticed upon arrival that the all the lights were blinking on the front and he could not connect via the web interface. Callpilot was also inaccessible and there was an alarm 44 on the main phone. There were users using the system ( on the backup POTS lines). We later rebooted the system and everything returned to normal.

What gives? Any help would be appreciated. Does the system reboot on its own whenever there is an issue like a T1 outage?

First thing would be to check the wonderful "base function tray issue". Nortel bulliten 2005006052. See if the part number of the system matches these:

BCM Product Description PEC CPC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NA BCM 3.0 on BCM400, Standard NT7B10AADH A0898618
NA BCM 3.0 on BCM400, Redundancy NT7B10AADJ A0898620
Int'l BCM 3.0 on BCM400, Standard NT7B10AADP A0899811
Int'l BCM 3.0 on BCM400, Redundancy NT7B10AADQ A0899812
NA BCM 3.0 on BCM200, Standard NT7B10AADT A0990913
Int'l BCM 3.0 on BCM200, Standard NT7B10AADU A0990914

NA BCM 3.5 BCM400 Standard NT7B10AAED A0510880
NA BCM 3.5 BCM400 Redundancy NT7B10AAEE A0510881
Int'l BCM 3.5 BCM400 Standard NT7B10AAEF A0511056
Int'l BCM 3.5 BCM400 Redundancy NT7B10AAEG A0511057
NA BCM 3.5 BCM200 Standard NT7B10AAEH A0510882
Int'l BCM 3.5 BCM200 Standard NT7B10AAEJ A0510883

If so, check the BFT for leaking, green capacitors. If you see those, contact Nortel (or have your vendor contact Nortel, as applicable) and request a replacement BFT.

Most likely this had nothing to do with your T-1 outage, probably purely coincidental.

Nope, its a NT7B1003. All the capacitors are blue.

There is a new bulletin regarding power connector issues on the MBM backplane. Apparently they don't always seat firmly.

I had one customer with a 400 that I was troubleshooting with Level 2, but they closed the plant prior to resolution, and then 2 months later out comes the bulletin.

A minor adjustment with some needle nose pliers may help to resolve the issue.

I went through the same thing and the end result was a bad backplane on behind the modules. Swapped it out and no problems for a year now.

NARSBARS

Hey magna do you know that bulletin number

BCM50 with 4 centrex lines in. Can anything be done via the BCM50 regarding what clid is sent outgoing off of these analog lines? I have a main line with three roll lines configured via the phone company. They are telling me that they can do nothing in regards to the roll lines not showing main number clid on outbound calls. Has anybody ever gotten roll lines to show main number clid?

I believe it was part and parcel of 2006-0055. The symptoms are listed in the origianl PAA (since revised).

This was the Stop Ship notice for Everything BCM 200/400.

This was for the bad DTM's. I got one about 3 months ago, it was in the vendors stock.

DOCUMENT ID
VERSION

Nortel Networks has recently found a problem with some of the BCM Digital Trunk Modules that
are distributed globally. The BCM-DTM (Digital Trunk Media Bay Module) is used to connect T1,
E1 or PRI digital trunks to the BCM. The root cause of the failure at sites reported has been
traced to a production run of the DTM from November 22, 2004 through January 07, 2005. Some
units manufactured during this period were found to have components reversed on printed circuit
boards causing a complete failure of the module.
The problem is service-affecting and when one of these modules is installed in a system, it will
fail within a few minutes to up to 24 hours. The visual indicators on the front of the DTM will show
power on however all other LED's will not be active. The DTM will not return to service upon
reboot of the system after this failure occurs.

All BCM (Business Communications Manager) installations utilizing BCM-DTM (Digital Trunk
Module) part under PEC code NT5B04AAAD will need to ensure they do not have a potentially
defective unit.
All units with a Manufacturing date range of November 22, 2004 to January 7, 2005 may
experience a failure of the BCM Digital Trunk Module as described below.
PCP CPC Description
NT5B04AAAD A0803597 BCM-DTM - Digital Trunk Module
A Product Advisory Alert providing more details regarding both the failure and recovery
instructions is available: PAA-2005-0035-Global.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back