Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this monitor toast???? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgi1chuikov

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
US
I bet it is, but, wanted a second opinion.
OK, was usin a 5.5 year old 17" CTX monitor. Abruptly the power on it flickered back and forth, them died. It also started a soft rythmic clicking sound. Have not been able to have it power on since. This monitor is definitley the problem as this monitor does not work on any box and the box in question works on other monitors. Is my best option to trash this and get a new one?

You do have the situation well in hand. New 17" monitors can be had for well under $200 but look at WalMart, Sam's Club, BestBuy, or Costco in your local area to save $30-50 shipping costs.

You can also go for a used one. I have known people that picked up 17" monitors for 50 bucks used, or go for a 19" or even 21" for the price of a 17" new.

Just look for reputable sites.

Bryan
--------------------------------------------------
KruppCon -

Unless it's a very simple problem, the parts will cost more than a new monitor.

rgds
Zeit.

I was told once what the prob was when it clicks like that and i forget, could be something called the flywheel, but i am only guessing. The repair was a bit over $100 so i just junked it, only a 17 in monitor, can get another used one for $50 anyway.

you are right on both counts. I would never go inside a monitor, few parts serviceable unless you really know your stuff, and, far as i know, you can get killed or a dangerous shock with no power connected, correct?

Better to just buy another used one!

That's correct. There is enough stored voltage to electrocute you.

Jim

thanks ANFPS26, that kind of info can save a persons life.
Worth repeating, dont open a monitor and attempt repairs, there is voltage there than can kill you, even with the monitor to cpu cable off or unhooked, and with the power cable off or unhooked, there is still stored power inside the monitor that can kill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back