Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this even possible?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jul 1, 2003
US
Ok, you know how in the opening credits of some tv shows, they'll have like 3 or 4 little clips of past shows coming from the corners of the screen all that the same time and dissappear on the other side or somewhere else on the screen. I wanna do SOMETHING like that, but I dont have a clue where to start or what its even called. Can anybody give me some pointers on it? I want the clips to come onto the screen so that the viewers can get at least a 3 second viewing of it before it gets to the other side of the screen.

Thanks a ton

Hey, I think what you might want to do is try getting a program called Hollywood FX Pro. It's basically a whole ton of advanced transitions that intergrades itself to work with Premiere and it has a few presets that do pretty much exactly what you described. Hope this helps.

-Dan Scog

I did something similar for a recent video, but I used After Effects. I think it could be done in Premiere fairly easily using the motion settings and layering the video clips. FYI, I had clips come in at a 0% scale in the center of screen, then grow as they floated to edge. Used 8 clips w/ logo in middle. Looked pretty cool. Good Luck!

It's the same as picture-in-a-picture.

Take your "floating" footage, place it into one of the superimposition layers (Video 2 or higher) and apply Video >> Motion.

You should be able to figure it out from there. [smile]

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Hey thanks you guys. Great idea, starla! Ed, moogle, thanks for the tips. THats a huge help.

Uh Oh, Ed. You're post has confused me. But its because my Premiere savvy is at a whopping 0%. These are the parts I dont get.

1. "place it into one of the SUPERIMPOSTION LAYERS

2. (VIDEO 2 or higher)"

Thanks again.

You'll probably note that you have two video tracks; 1 and 2. On the far left, each track has a little twirldown triangle. If you twirl both tracks down, Track 1 splits to Track 1A and Track 1B. What happens with track 2 is that you just see emptiness underneath. If you had a clip there, you would see an opacity rubberband.

Premiere can handle lots of tracks, up to 99 video tracks, I believe. Any track numbered 2 or higher is what's called a superimposition track, meaning, basically that track 1 is "real" footage and the stuff on the higher tracks will just be superimposed on the "real" track (my quotation marks).

Track 1 (or 1A/1B, if it's expanded) cannot do transaprency. It's just not highlighted and you can't do anything about it.

The superimposition tracks, however, are all about transparency.

In fact, there are just oodles of things you can do to a clip on a superimposition track that you can't do to a clip on Track 1.

Usually, when you open a Premiere project, you have (if memory serves) two video tracks and two audio tracks. For most projects, that's enough. For any really complicated thing, like a video bumper with lots of zooming around images and whatnot, you'll find that you need a lot more video tracks. You can increase the number of video tracks by clicking the slightly larger triangle along the right and upper corner of the timeline window. It's one of those triangles (there's a couple). The option you're looking for is either called "track options..." or "timeline options..." or something like that.

After that, it's obvious.

I tend to use the superimposition layers and the opacity rubberbands to do all my crossfades because I'm very ditzy and frequently lose track (hah - track!) of what I'm doing in the 1A/1B expanded track with the transitions and whatnot. My brother would probably just shake his head at my foolishness. [smile]

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back