Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this ethical SEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benlavic

Programmer
Apr 13, 2005
HR
Looking at pages that are above my site in the google rankings, I noticed this page
Which at first glance seems to be just a image and an enter buttom, but when looking at the source code or using a text-based browser, shows a large amount of text and links to other similar designed pages. Is this a trend worth copying to raise my rankings or is it just cheating?

Ben

It's cheating, and search engines eventually find them and remove them for it. Google is typically pretty good at catchinf stuff like this, so expect them to dissappear anyday now.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Hmm.

Actually it's just using a <noscript> tag. This is legitimate although open to abuse.

Using it to replace a flash element is, I suppose, a reasonable use. They aren't really trying to deceive anyone.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
I wonder what possesses people to make those animated gifs. Do you just get up in the morning and think, "You know what web design r

Sorry ! jumped the gun. I read the parent post without looking at the site and jumped to the conclussion that they were doing <font color=#FFFFFF> or style="color: #FFFFFF" to hide the fact that text was there. After looking at it, in this case it isn't cheating...

The big way to abuse it would be to spam a <noscript> with links just to up the link count and search terms indexed.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Thanks for your replies, but I would have thought this could be covered under the making content just for search engines.

No, it's making content for any visitor with scripting turned off - that will include users of text-only browsers and, perhaps, some screen-reader users as well as search engine spiders. It's certainly ethical, and actually rather laudable.

The only problem is that it won't be displayed to people who have scripting but don't have the Flash plug-in installed/enabled, which (one would think) is what the alternative text is there for. I think they should be putting this content inside the <object> element instead.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

To reiterate, <noscript> is often missused and abused -- but just because some sites do doesn't mean this particular site is. Infact, if you want to see why it's a good thing, look at it on your cell phone or with lynx (if you've got a linux box lying arround (-- doesn't everyone?)) -- and realize that without that code you'd be looking at nothing.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back