Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there such a thing as a certificate in a certified cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naturl

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2003
US
I have never been pressed, but I use my Wavetec tester (5e) to "certify" all cables I installed for my mind. I can save the results of course, but who wants them? Really, Who? Is there a certificate to attach these results to and then hang on the wall? I can see where a warranty may be at issue. When does a customer want a certify? Should I charge extra?

When you deal with certain manufacturers, they will give a 25 year warranty if installed by one of their certified vendors. One of the requirements is that each run is tested with a certified cable tester, like the one you have. And yes you can get a plaque to install on the wall. I've also been on projects where it was a pre-requisite to have them or there would be financial reprocussions. There may be a legal issue as well, for insurance purposes. I would say if you already have the tester, might as well continue to use it, doesn't hurt any. You should include a little something extra. Those testers are not cheap, and the time it takes to compile the reports, and it takes a little longer to test with a tester than with a continuity tester.

Lots of questions there :) We normally print the data for each test, and save it on a CD for the customer. In theory, they put it away and if a problem arises later we can check and compare the test results. Many product manufacturers will offer a system warranty IF you are a certified installer, put their approved products in, AND send them a copy of all the test results. The manufacturer would then issue a warranty certificate to the customer.

We do it on every cable we install, unless it is a real cheap bid position and we offer them some money off if we don't use our expensive test equipment, but then we can't offer them much warranty on what we did either.

Hope that helps.

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

The print outs are considered your certificate to the customer. They should have a place for date, parameters, and technician on each sheet. They also have the NVP listed, which if your client wishes to check your honesty, can do using that reading.

I won't do an install without testing for reasons cited by nforeman, however I don't break it out on a bid so the customer has no choice. I do tout the fact that all jobs we do are certified and carry at least a 5 year warranty. The only choice I give a client is if they want us to do the work, or if they wish to upgrade to a 15 year warranty, most don’t. I never let a client lower my standards.

Truth be known, the average life of a cabling installation is less than 5 years, not because of faults, but because it is usually upgraded or the client moves and the system is reconfigured by the new tenant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back