Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there something I am missing? I

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunnjt

Technical User
Nov 20, 2001
US
Is there something I am missing? I want to create a simple Public folder in Outlook 2000. The Outlook program won't let me even "see" how to create such a folder. Any suggestions? Maybe there is another group to handle such requests. In any even. thank you.
Jerry d

if you using exchange, the admin need to assign permission for you to create anything in the public folder, or they can create it for you.

This system is using windows 2000. Will Windows 2000 allow Outlook to use public folders? I can log on as an "administrator" but from there I have no idea what to do. Can you tell me how to check permissions and/or how to assign appropriate permissions to create a public folder?
for any suggestion, in advance, Thank you,

Jerry D.

You can only use a Public folder if you are connected to Exchange. This facility is part of Exchange not Outlook!

If the Public folder is useable as an Exchange feature and this network is using windows 2000, does that mean I can not make a public folder in Outlook? Is there a way to work around this so I CAN make a public folder in Outlook even using the Windows 2000? How can I determine that this system is actually using Windows 2000 and not Exchange? Thank you for any suggestions.
Jerry D.

Sorry! if you do not have an exchange server installed on your network then you cannot use the public folder feature of outlook.

To recap:
Outlook must be connected over the netowrk to an Exchange server for this feature to be available.

SCQUan
Thank you for you very quick response about the public folder and Exchange server. May I ask one more question that is at the most basic, basic level about the W2K and the Exchange server?
W2K and Exchange server can not be run at the same time on the same network? Isn't that true? Is there any way, then to "fool" Outlook into thinking it is running an Exchange server when the system is actually running on W2K?
If there is no way to work around this W2K/Exchange server problem, might you have a suggestion as to how multiple users can share information and files/folders in Outlook on the network. They primarily want to share the "Contacts" folder so all employees can use the same contact list. At present, each employee is using their own list, managed on their own computer.
Again, I heartily thank you listfolks for any help and suggestions.
Thank You, Jerry D.

I think you are getting confused about Win2k and Exchange.
Exchange is Microsofts Email server that is installed on a Win2k Server. Small Business Server includes Exchange 2000, ISA, SQL Server, Proxy, Network Fax etc. and can be bought for just over £1000.00 + Vat. This would allow you to offer full email facilities, Secured Shared Internet connection etc.

I am not aware of any other software that will allow you to use ahared contacts thro Outlook(that does not mean it does not exist).

As far as I am aware you cannot fool Outlook into sharing a public folder as it it is Exchange that does the sharing.

I hesitate to mention it, because it does require quite a bit of maintenance, but there is a way to share folders in Outlook 2000 without an Exchange server. It is called NetFolders, I think. We shared a calendar with it until we implemented a web-based Linux calendar. First, you choose one installed instance of Outlook to use as a "server." Each person that you want to share data with must be configured to send to the server email address in Microsoft RTF format (Open a person in contacts, right-click on the email address and check the appropriate box). Click once on the calendar (or other object that you wish to share) and then go to file/share/this folder. Here you can choose users from your contacts that you want to share this folder with and set permissions for each member of the group. It boils down to each time a change is made by a user, an email is automatically sent to the server and the server then updates all other clients. It will take at least 5 minutes for all user to see the changes.

I don't know if this fits your data sharing needs at all since I believe it only works for objects in Outlook and doesn't work for sharing raw data.

Randomly clients will be ejected from membership and they must be re-added. Microsoft doesn't suggest using it for more than 12 people.

SCQUAN -
Again, thank your quick reply.
From what you have said, it is possible that the Exchange is not installed on the network and therefore the public folder feature is not functional in Outlook. I assume that the Exchange server could be installed on the network to correct this problem? Do I assume correctly? Could Exchange be installed, all other things being as they should be?
And - By the Way - I am having a flashback. Do I recall correctly that several years ago, the Exchange and Schedule Plus programs were replaced by Outlook? don't know why that comes to mind but it does.
Thanks again,
Jerry D.

HAWKRI-
Thank you for the information about the Netfolders. I will look into the possibility but there are more than 12 users on the network and this may be a problem as you point out. However, I intend to take a look at any popssible solutions. Mayeb we could just let some people go... kidding.
Thank you for the suggestion.
Jerry D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back