Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there life after IT? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

drago762

Programmer
Dec 16, 2004
US
I have a bachelor's in computers and have been programming and working with databases for nearly 10 years. While I am content at this point, I can't see myself coding for the next 40 years. I feel like I'm starting to burn out and not really excited about CONSTANTLY learning new programming terminology like I used to be. They pay is decent but not great, and it seems there are easier ways to earn the same amount. Also, I'd like to have a life outside of work someday. It seems almost impossible in this field with the long hours and constant study. Programming is a lonely gig and I'd like a little more people contact.

So I'm looking for a possible career change. I would be willing to go back to school. I've considered an MBA but they seem to be a dime a dozen these days. I've also considered a masters in psychology because it is an interesting subject IMO. However, I'm not sure how well I could utilize my IT skills in that field. So my questions are: 1) What is a good degree to pair with an IT degree? What field(s) are good for those with an IT background? I'm looking for a field with some longetivity. 2) Have you or do you know anyone else who has successfully transitioned from a career in IT and how they did it?

Join the club...I've been programming for about 11 years now. I'm currently working as a consultant...the money is really good, but I can't say that I look forward to coming into work everyday.

redsmooth and drago762...I've always been interested in the fitness field as well. I would like to get a certification and pursue a side job as a personal trainer at some point. What courses have you taken? Can you provide any info on how to get started down that track? Thanks.

I worked a lot in System Admin roles and got bored with the never ending same old that came along.

I ended up leaving my old Job about 6 months ago and now work as a solutions architect.

It leverages all my skills and as well as doing the pre-sales type thing and working with the client at the design stage i also follow it through to delivery. I have teams to help deploy equipment and do a lot of what you might call the boring stuff. I can make it as hands-on or hands-off as i like (unless something is inherently difficult for the teams to implement).

It does however give me the ability to play with the more exciting parts and continue to enjoy IT. As an admin i was getting severely bored and started to hate looking at computers but now i'm finding what i really liked about them in the first place.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that a move entirely outside of IT might not be necessary, maybe something that makes you do something different in IT could be of interest?

I wish someone would just call me Sir, without adding 'Your making a scene'.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back