Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there life after IT? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

drago762

Programmer
Dec 16, 2004
US
I have a bachelor's in computers and have been programming and working with databases for nearly 10 years. While I am content at this point, I can't see myself coding for the next 40 years. I feel like I'm starting to burn out and not really excited about CONSTANTLY learning new programming terminology like I used to be. They pay is decent but not great, and it seems there are easier ways to earn the same amount. Also, I'd like to have a life outside of work someday. It seems almost impossible in this field with the long hours and constant study. Programming is a lonely gig and I'd like a little more people contact.

So I'm looking for a possible career change. I would be willing to go back to school. I've considered an MBA but they seem to be a dime a dozen these days. I've also considered a masters in psychology because it is an interesting subject IMO. However, I'm not sure how well I could utilize my IT skills in that field. So my questions are: 1) What is a good degree to pair with an IT degree? What field(s) are good for those with an IT background? I'm looking for a field with some longetivity. 2) Have you or do you know anyone else who has successfully transitioned from a career in IT and how they did it?

Interesting only because I'm trying to do the same thing. I've been programming for what seems a lifetime (15+ years) and find myself getting weary of it all and like you don't see myself behind a desk for the rest of my life.
So I made a decision to get away from the desk also, I'm heading to the fitness & nutrition arena. Starting slowly with correspondence courses but hope to make a career out of it.
Will it happen, don't know but I gotta try at least!!

So, you're not alone, doubt very much I'm the only one here who is thinking of moving on. (but at the same time stand to be corrected!)

Patrick

While I promote - and believe that IT is a great career choice. The truth is, if you talk to someone who is/was an accountant for 30 years, they spend the final 15-20 mostly coasting - not in effort but in passion.

Most people have changing interest over the course of their lives but are terrified to try something new - feeling that they are "starting over" or ground level. The fact is, a well-rounded professional in any area brings transcendent skills to new endeavors.

The question to ask is less about what you think you could make money at easier but what do you really love.

Early in a career the question almost always focuses on "what can I make money doing?" After a you get a few gray hairs (or lost hairs in my case), you begin to yearn for what drives you.

I still work in IT - as a consultant - but I generally limit my week to about 25-32 hours and work out of my house. Writing has been my dream since day 1 so I know spend the other time doing that.

In fact, I just received notice that Pearson (Cisco Press/Prentice hall/Addison-Wesley) has just approved 2 more projects for me - e-books on consulting). I have a meeting later today on a book project that is in a completely different genre (parenting/hyperactivity) and this new project has received the notice and blessing of a very well-known and best-selling author in the parenting space.

My push has been to explore more creative outlets for my talent - incorporating and leveraging my technology knowledge to open those doors and make them happen more easily.

Regardless of the area you go into - and especially if you decide to start a business - your IT background should serve you well.

Good luck.

Matthew Moran (career blog and podcast below)
Career Advice with Attitude for the IT Pro

I've always been told that you should aim to do something that you loved as a child in order ot be happy and successful, because as a child you loved what you were good at.

I can't seem to find anyone who wants to employ a full-time "annoy the heck out of my sister" so I, for one, and probably going to end up staying in IT and writing in my own time.

Good luck in finding things guys!

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Office Space said:
"What would you do if you had a million dollars?"
"Besides [censored]?"
"Well, yeah."
"Nothing. I'd do absolutely nothing."

Sorry, but this thread brought that conversation into my head.

What is a good degree to pair with an IT degree?
Your undergraduate degree should not guide you in your desire to pursue a graduate degree in another unrelated field.

Many graduate degrees are attained by people who didn't have an undergraduate in the field. If you look you might see somebody with:
B.S., Economics; M.S., Computer Science

If you have B.S., Computer Science, and you want an M.A in History then nothing can stop you from getting it.

I have been in IT for 12 years and I cannot see myself doing this for another 25 years. You are not alone. I forget the actual numbers, but they are along these:

number of jobs held in a lifetime: 20
number of careers in a lifetime: 4-5

From those numbers you can see most people desire to do other things and do.

Follow your passion!

kHz, Matthew, great insights as usual.

Drago - I'm sure you will find something you really like. I know a guy who has a BA in psychology who is now working on Masters' in Computer Science, and he inspired me to start workign towards getting a Masters' in Comp Sci or Software Engineering (my undergrad was economics).

A lot of people talk about your degree 'pigeonholing' (I hate this word) you into working in a certain field. I think that as long as you have the motivation and drive to make a change, it is never to late. The only person who can 'pigeonhole' you is yourself.

Good Luck, and let me know what it's like on the outside ;-)

Alex

A wise man once said
"The only thing normal about database guys is their tables".

if you want to work outside the office, consider looking into convergance of i.t. and telecom. installing ip telephony systems puts you in the field, at customer sites. a different location everyday, or three days at the most can make life a little more interesting.

just a thought that might let you work in a related field. you work with technology, but also with people when you are designing a solution for a specific businesses telphony needs.

Hmm. A career in tidying up lego and other toys?

I'll look into it...

You could always try to get into IT Management. In that case you have to keep up with the technology but not to the nth detail as you might as a programmer.

From what I see of IT managers, it's usually a good route to redundancy. Once you start to step away from the technology, you quickly lose touch with it altogether and end up being someone who spends their life producing MS Project plans.

With anyone that's looking for life beyond IT, I always ask, "What interests you?"
Do you want to sit with another person?
Do you want to be behind a desk?
Do you like staring at a compute r8-9 hours a day?

I saw in your original post the possibility of going for a Masters in Psychology. If it is somethin you're seriously considering, then I would speak with a local university in regards to your background. Some psychology programs require that you graduate with a Bachelor's in psychology or social work.
However, if say this is something you're considering, take a look at your traits rather than experience. If you go into a psychology program and you decide to do "lab work" rather than consoling people, then consider this: you program and thus use a form of logic to map out how a program is to work. If you go in and do lab work, maybe on rats or mice, then you use that type of logic to draw a hypothesis on what might happen in the cage, then test to see if you're right.

Just my 2 cents....

All that hoo-hah about "finding your passion" and "doing what you love" doesn't always wash. I was good with music when I was young. As it turns out, I'm no Satriani. But I love music anyway. I'm just not good enough to make a living at it. So I manage databases, write code, man the help desk, and play boondocks gigs on weekends.

But sure, go ahead and find something else to do. Just make sure your pre-requisite stuff is in order, like LadySlinger says.

Two maxims I found useful during my career journey, although I sometimes ignored them:

"Don't quit your day job." (The Amateur Musician's code)
"Never let go of something until you have a hold of something else." (The Wingwalker principle)

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa.

Phil,

If you love music, other alternatives could be working in a recording studio, getting involved with radio stations, etc. Just because you may not be able to break into your dream career in a field in a realistic manner (sports and acting would be other prime examples) doesn't mean you need to move out of the industry all toghether.

I love this forum. I monitor it regularly and even post from time to time. I am kind of in the same boat drago 762. I have been in IT for 10 years working with specialized softwares and due to graduate next June with my Bachelors. I thought IT management would be my route from here but what I have discovered is that my over all goal will be something new and challanging. No paticular interest at this point. I actually started a thread on how to write a resume geared towards this indecision. KHZ and Ladyslinger are full of good advise as usual.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Please note that I wasn't saying "Find your passion", just what interests you? Slight difference.

Example if you have a "passion" for Chocolate Chip cookies and you eat 10 everyday, you will eventually get sick of them.
However, if Chocolate Chip cookies are just your "interest", you may just eat one a day. You'll still enjoy them quite a while from now, but you don't have to put your heart into eating them.

Cause, like you Phil I was once in music. However, I quickly got burned out when it took over my life. Eight hours a day in classes, 6-8 hours a day practising, plus any concerts or gigs that occurred on the weekend. I still love music, but I think the last time I picked up an instrument was 2001.

i find my volunteer work gives me more satisfaction, and i have more passion for it than my endeavors in pursuit of financial gain. if you find your work is less than rewarding in ways beyond finances, etc., i would not reccomend seeking different work to fill those desires. i do really enjoy my work, or at least the majority of it as with most jobs. i do pursue excellence, and take pride in my accomplishments.

now if you can find something that fills those needs great, if not, do not be suprised. unless you are one of the few people whos work has some societal, or relational benefits to human beings, it is not going to really offer that much which is not financial.

that does not mean that you can not find those fulfillments outside of work in volunteer organizations, coaching, etc. investing in people, relationships, societal issues has many rewards which are beyond financial, and more lasting, and impacting to your sense of happiness, and fullfillment. i personally have been doing mentoring young people for two decades, and it builds me up, lightens my personality, and keeps me fulfilled. it helps my work as well in building my resume, soft skills, ability to mentor in the workplace. also in benefits to my attitude during my work time, as well as my feelings of personal accomplishment.
ask yourself if your lack of happiness is because of your job, or because of your lack of a feeling of impact beyond your paycheck. there are ways to use your people skills as a volunteer which will reap rewards for you beyond financial, and in a place where you build relationships with people which will give you something back that money can not buy. there is a quote which i really feel has proven itself true in my life.

''Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

maybe not true in the paycheck, but i find it true in life in general.

Thanks for your input everyone.

I guess my main issue is making a decisions with all the options I have on the table. I've thought about getting an MCDBA, MBA (which my company would likely pay for), and psychology degree. I've also though about learning a trade to fall back in in case the tech job market dries up in my area. But that money would be coming out of my own pocket. I'm really passionate about fitness and I've thought about going after a fitness certification. I'd also like to run my own business someday or do side projects someday. But I don't really have time to run a side business with only a few hours available each weeknight. I can't possibly do all of this at the same time since I work 50-60 hours a week.

Part of me says to focus on technology, do side jobs, make as much as I can, and THEN decide on some type of a career change. But then I think maybe I'll be too old to change careers.

Another part of me says I should focus on what I'm interested as far as studying goes ouside of work, and work on a change now since it's easier to change when you're younger (I'm still under 30 but not by much). While I love solving problems and coming up with technological solutions for business problems, I'm not one that likes to spend a lot of hours outside of work reading technical books. I'd rather read about psychology, business success, history, and stuff like that. To me, it's boring to learn stuff that will be obsolete and I will likely never use (which is why I've been hesitant to go after a certification). If I'm ever stuck, I can easily find what I need online as far as technical information goes. I love doing research when I have a problem in front of me. But see no reason to learn a bunch of technical details, 80% of what I will never use. Not when I understand the main concepts and can easily find the information when I need it.

Anyway, I know that nobody here can decide for me what direction to go. As they say, hindsight is 20/20. But if anyone can add any feedback on any of these areas, feel free.

LadySlinger, sorry for the misinterpretation.

I just started back on the gig trail, at the insistence of my wife ("Are you just gonna let all that stuff gather dust?") and because of a good experience sitting in with someone else. I'm enjoying it a lot more because I've adjusted my expectations. It's more important for me to communicate the emotion of a piece than it is to be technically excellent.

I think, in terms of the OP's view, that burnout is what a lot of IT folks experience. Sure, you have to keep up with the technology in a number of fields, but IT has to be at the top of the heap in terms of "continuing education". Add to that unscrupulous employers and bargain-basement wages for time served, and it's easy to see why many want out.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa.

I have been in the Telecom field for 7 years, still have to much to learn.

I was also thinking going into psychology. Not sure what to do but will seek more about it.

Can't I just win the lottery? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back