Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there any way to protect / hide source code of forms in foxpro app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MH_Rajput

Programmer
Dec 23, 2020
PK

Hi Everybody!
Is there any way to protect / hide source code of forms in foxpro app?
And any way to prevent .frx reports from editing?
Kindly guide me if there is any solution for these issues!
Advance thanks 😇
Best regards,
MH_Rajput

You can embed reports to disallow editing them. And Refox is the standard to protect your code.

But in the end look into this discussion: thread184-1806597.

Chriss

You can hide the source code within an EXE by ticking the Encrypted box in the Project Info dialogue.

Without that box ticked, if you view the EXE in a hex editor, you will see some recognisable text, including the names of your functions, procedures, classes, properties, methods, etc., plus the text of your user messages and even some of your comments. What you can't see is the actual source code.

The code is present, of course, but it is in a tokenised form. So a decompiler (or a very knowledgeable developer) would be able to retrieve it. If you want to guard against that risk, tick Encrypted. That way, none of the text or code will be visible.

But, ask yourself: why are you worried about this? Who are you trying to "protect" your application against?

Even if someone managed to extract the source code from your executable, what are they going to do with it? They would end up with just raw code, with no obvious way of putting it together; no understanding of how it works; no information about your class hierarchies or data structures; almost no comments and no documentation of any kind. They would need a great deal of skill and patience to reverse engineer an entire application - to the extent that it would probably be easier to write a new application from scratch.

I suggest that the risk of someone stealing your intellectual property in this way is virtually zero.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Thanks everybody 👍🏻👍🏻
For your valuable suggestions❤

I have used Refox to try to protect; but I had one person send me the code that he extracted from a 'protected' exe. So Refox is not 100% secure. The best would be to compile the VFP code to actual machine code and not p-code. Take a look at VFP Compiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back