Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there any way to create a (image 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumberg

MIS
Oct 8, 2001
US
Is there any way to create a (image)bootable tape for 2.8 ?
Ive havent been able to do it with Jumpstart.
HP has a tool called ignite that does this. Im wondering if SUN has anything like this or if there is 3rd party software that will do this?

Thanks
dennis

I was looking into the same thing last week.
We are an HP shop, but ordered a Solaris box because some app would only run on Solaris.
Anyway, there is not anything from Sun that gives the make_recovery functionality that HP has or mksysb that AIX has. What I did find however, is a tool called "Bare Metal Recovery" from a company called "The Kernel Group" - Veritas just purchased them this year. It works with Tivoli and Veritas Net Backup. Here is a link to their site:
We already use Veritas Net Backup - so this probably what we will use. I am going to start investigating the cost and how it really works this week - I'll post a follow-up later.

P.S. I am in no way affiliated with Veritas - other than being a customer - this just seemed like the best solution I found so far

Well with since Solaris 8 04/01 you can use a Flash Archive installation in a tape ..., just create a sysidcfg, a flash profile a flash archive and a rules file, then use dd or tar to write the configuration files and the flash archive to the tape, to perform a installation you will only need a flash aware mini root to boot (because Solaris don't boot from tape), you can use for this the Cd-rom or a jumpstart server, and restore tape contents from boot prompt with something like:

{}ok boot cdrom - install tape=/dev/rmt/0n

restore entire system from tape flash archive.

... and it Works !

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Carlos Almeida,

Sounds very nice ... how can we create a flash archive ?

Thanks,

FJ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back