Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there any way to create a bootup disk for WinXP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Is there any way to create a bootup disk for WinXP?
My PC do not support bootable CD. Please Help.

if you computer wont support booting off the cd, do you really want to install XP, 128mb of RAM is like 32MB of RAM in Windows 98. It makes 400mhz computer into a slow machine. It is good but very thirsty.

This was in the WinXPnews mailing list last week, I have not tried it myself so no guarantees, however it should be worth a go. Note that you will have to configure Windows Explorer to show all files before you start

Put a floppy disk into the floppy drive. Click Start and then click the Run command. Type cmd in the Open text box and click OK.
At the command prompt, type format a: and press [ENTER]. Follow the on screen instructions to format the disk.
Open Windows Explorer and go to the C:\ drive. Copy the NTLDR and the NTDETECT.COM files to the floppy disk.
Click Start and click the Run command. In the Open text box, type Notepad and press [ENTER]. In Notepad, enter the following information:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
Default= multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows="Windows XP"

These entries will work if you have a single disk with a single partition.
In Notepad, click File and then click the Save As command. In the File name text box, type "a:\boot.ini" (you must include the quotes). Click Save. Then click Notepad.
Test your boot disk. Restart the computer with the boot disk still in the floppy drive. You should be able to boot into Windows XP with no problems. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back