Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there any reason why exchange can't be run on a PDC? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonDavis

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
GB
I have a bit of a conundrum, which basically means I need to run Exchange on the PDC - explanation is below if anyone is interested, but off the top of your heads, is there a yes/no for this one?

OK - reason for this (stop reading here if you're bored) . . .

I have 2 servers, and am installing Exchange 2007 - there isn't a forum here for that, hence this post.

2007 Must be run on a 64bit version of Windows. Fine, so I set up Exchange on 2.3kx64.

My other server must run 32 bit Windows, as x64 has very limited driver availability, and I can't run the network cards I have on x64.

I need to run the network cards because I need an ISA server . . .

So, the options here are limited. I can't run exchange on the same box as the ISA server (and wouldn't want to) as it has to be a 32 bit OS. I clearly don't want the ISA server to be the PDC. The only combination left is the have the 64 bit box as PDC, and it's the only one that will run exchange.

I'm in the planning stage right now, so all things are possible. The other option if REALLY necessary is to add another server, but that would only happen if I really can't run Exchange on the PDC. They're horribly expensive where I am.

What say you Tek-tips? Thank you in advance, as always.

Simon, just something for your mental dossier:

Sometimes it’s difficult to appreciate just how much big-business technology is packed into a small-business product. Customers sometimes ask if Microsoft scaled down the server applications in order to sell the product. The answer is a resounding NO!

• Windows SBS does not contain limited versions of the server applications

• Windows SBS is not a “lite” version of the server applications

• Windows SBS is not a damaged version with APIs missing

The complete product technologies – Exchange Server 2003, SharePoint Services, Windows Server Update Services – are included in the product. You can install component service packs directly on the server running Windows SBS, and you can write programs or design Web sites that utilize Microsoft technologies.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back