Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there any real way to conceal your IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Is there any easy way to hide your IP? if so could you please tell me cause I'm worried about hackers obtaining it. I got a firewall, Zone alarm, and it says you can run it in stealth mode but that dosen't work. Any help would be great.

If you hid your IP then you wouldn't be able to get on the internet at all. The reply traffic has to have a destination IP address (your IP) to send the traffic to!

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chris@iproute.co.uk

If your runnin DSL try getting a dynamic IP, it changes every time you connect. Makes it harder to get a "lock" on you.

DSL is an "always on" interface, so while the IP assignment is dynamic, unless you're turning off your DSL modem often, you're probably stuck with the same IP most of the time anyway. While the DHCP is usually set up to refresh the IP's every 24 hours or so, the DSLAM/CMTS only has a limited number of IP's to pick from, so usually you get the same IP on a refresh. My personal opinion is that for a home or SOHO setup, using NAT via a router is probably about as much security as you need. Remember, if a hacker doesn't know you have anything worthwhile on your network, why would they bother hacking it in the first place?

I've used anonymous proxy servers before that seem to effectively hide your IP. Only the proxy server would retain a record. I've visited sites while using it to see what information could be obtained and if I was running on an anonymous server, it didn't seem to be able to find my machines IP, but the proxy servers instead. Maybe someone with more knowledge about this can help explain if this really helps cover your trail while surfing.

The best way to "hide" your IP would be to find a reliable proxy server. It will handle your requests for info. But if you are worried about security, the best way would be to get a router with a built in firewall that uses NAT...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back