Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

???Is there any FTP site which would be faster for Unix based work???

Status
Not open for further replies.

techciscouser

Technical User
Jan 17, 2004
US
After setting up VNC to work...I noticed that VNC is very slo for what I have to do. I am trying to connect to computer which has Unix based software and that software is installed on the server. So when I request for something it goes to my VNC Server/Computer and then my request goes to that Unix Server....which makes my connection so slow that just to get from 1 screen to other it took approx. 5-8 minutes...whereas this was not the case when I was working with Excel / Word Program
Is there a software that I could install which would be faster for Unix based program called Tech7.
Does anyone know anything about FTP site which I can link to my work computer and after I am done I can upload my work to that link and in return that link would upload to my work computer...I hope I made sense....

Or can somebody suggest me about any other software....????
Thanks .....

You are VNC from home computer to work computer, which then connects to UNIX server? Is the work computer running anything locally? (Does Tech7 run locally installed software, or just link to UNIX server?)

Need more info to compare alternatives...

Alex

Thanks AlexIT....
No the work computer has all the common software like word / Excel etc. And Tech7 is installed locally on the work computer. But the database resides on the Unix Tech7 Server. Therefore if anything is created or modified it is brought from Tech7 Server...and after modifying it goes to Tech7 Server. And we connect all the machine which have Tech7 locally insatlled via Tech7 Server's IP. So Basically all the machines at work are getting their IP from DHCP and to connect to tech7 server these machines use Tech7 Server's IP.
Thats why I was thinking of any FTP site or maybe setup VPN (although I dont have any clue on how to setup VPN...)As I do not want to install VNC on the Server for obvious reasons. So I thought if I can Find FTP site( I dont know how that works..) But just exploring my options.

Any advise????????????????
Thanks

You dont want to access the tech7 database via FTP...not a good method. Best option is to setup VPN to company network and install needed host software on home PC.

However, VPN could be slow depending on traffic to/from Tech7 database.

Can you run the host software (whatever needed to connect to Tech7 database on Unix server?) If yes, then Telnet to unix server, login as Unix user and run that way (telnet is very fast...small traffic...works as fast as sitting at the server.)

Note it is not a good idea to have open telnet connection, so you may still need VPN first, then telnet to Unix server...company policy will make this decision.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back