Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there any free compiler? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

perlone

Programmer
May 20, 2001
US
I posted this question last time but it was deleted for some reason. I'm just starting to work with VB and I don't wanna spend like $600 bucks right away for MS Visual Basic. Is there any free compiler like DevC++ or something? Also, the VBRuntime Module is needed to run all VBprograms? Thanks again for your time. There is no Knowledge that is not power.
E-mail: projectnet01@yahoo.com
School: Coral Springs High (Company:(not done yet) :)
Status: Currently working with C++ for game developing. And making a musical band.
-Aaron

You should be able to get an educational version from a local college. I remember when I was at IU you could buy a copy of almost any MS product for between 10 - 50 bucks at the book store on campus.

No, there is no free VB compiler, and there probably never will be. Yes, the runtime is required for all VB programs. As far as I know, it's not possible to staticly link a VB executable.

Coop3DW is right, a college book store is the place to buy a compiler. Educational resellers get very big discounts. Last I checked, you could get VB6 Standard edition for $50 and Professional for $100. It might not be free, but an 80% discount isn't bad either.

If you're just starting to work with VB, better to bid on an earlier version through Ebay. These versions can work you into the programming, though the further back you go the less likely you are to find Web tools. VB4 is really good for this purpose. As for VB.net, the language has been modified extensively, and there is no package you can get to prepare for working with that.

I can't remember the name of the book off hand, but I know I've seen a book/CD package for VB that has a Learning Edition version of VB6 at a local book store...as I remember, it was only about $140.

I once bought a kit that came with a book and the Learning Edition of VB6 for ~$50 in Walmart. It's okay for learning the language, but be advised that the learning edition will not build an executable - you can only run your programs from inside the IDE. I don't know if that's important to you, but it doesn't hurt to be aware of it.

I think the one drwunz may be thinking about was by Borland. I have seen one with the Learning Version of VB at Electronics Botique. It was put out by Borland but as AdaHacker stated it will not build an Exe. Rob
Just my $.02.

The one I mentioned I found online just a bit ago...it's a Microsoft Press package Microsoft Visual Basic: Deluxe Learning for ~$100.

Another option would be to try local flea markets or computer shows...I see greatly reduced software at those all the time.

Thank you all for responding! I really appreciated! I will read each post and decide which is the best one for me. Thanks again! There is no Knowledge that is not power.
E-mail: projectnet01@yahoo.com
School: Coral Springs High (Company:(not done yet) :)
Status: Currently working with C++ for game developing. And making a musical band.
-Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back