Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is There Any Easy Way to Get a DB2 database into SQL 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

txdave35

Technical User
Nov 20, 2008
US
Hey guys,

I just started a new job writing SQL queries in a DB2 environment which is all new to me. The unnerving thing is our agency is billed for each mainframe transaction so I feel bad for running countless test queries to work out the logic.

I would like to somehow get a test copy of the Db2 and load it into my local SQL enterprise manager. Then I can work out the logic with no worries. The only way I can see to do this is to build a dummy database with test tables. Then export table data from Db2 to a text file. Then import the text file data into my blank table.

Will this work, or is there any easier method? One problem is these tables are huge with over 300,000 records so I might bog down my PC with a massive import.

Are you are asking how to move a DB2 database to an older version of Microsoft SQL Server? If so, you would do better asking your question in one of the SQL Server fora.

Since your target is SQL Server, it may be sensible to use DTS (or whatever it the inbuilt ETL is called) to transform and load data to SQL Server.

Just a thought with the very basic level of information you have provided.

Cheers
Sathy

For db2 resoruces visit More DB2 questions answered at &

txdave,

If you wish to write queries on MS SQL with the intention of running them in DB2 at a later stage, I strongly advise you NOT to do it unless it is simple SELECT's with very few joins, and none of the keywords available exclusively in SQL Server.

Even if you were to download and install a copy of DB2 on windows, some of the SQL available for DB2 UDB on Windows IS NOT AVAILABLE on the mainframe.

Apart from the above, SQL server will hold those tables easily.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Don't you have a test stage without or with little billing or billed by CPU? create there empty tables and test the SQL there. Best would be with few data sets to test functionality.

For SQL Server: well, a simple copy could be done using Access: export as CSV and import to SQL Server using Access - but this is definitely not advisable since data types will be anything.

Db2 Express is a nice option, export tables using the option and import them. but still you will have to worry that the SQL scope is different.
For moving data from the host to a DB2 on a PC, see here:
- either export as IXF and import
- or generate DDL with db2look and export as CSV and import.

That would be an option for sql server too - but expect efforts to adjust DDL and data.

Juliane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back