Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there an RARP tool for Windows 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsp1965

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2003
CA
It seems that when trying to track down a machine given its MAC address we're always at a loss. Therefore anyone know of an RARP (Reverse ARP) tool for Windows. Thanks.

Thank you Kressmark, but that seems to be too much of a tool for performing this simple task.

What I do is check the port tables in my network switches for the MAC address. Then I can tell which jack is connected to that port and that tells me where the machine is.

HTH,

Joe Brouillette

I am also seeking the same kind of windows based tool (RARP a given MAC to obtain the IP).
I am checking my CAM and mac-address-tables and want to add descriptions for server connections / produce topology diagrams. So I have the MACs and want resolve to IP them to name - the later stage not being a problem.
If you have found one please let me know.

Regards
Pavloc30

thanks bofhrevenge2,
This doesn't do exactly what I need, but as it exports directly to a .csv I will able to find the info after a few network scans!

Thanks

Arp -a will work if you have communicated with the machine in question via ip. If you have DHCP you could look a the leased addresses. Also, there is a cool tool called megaping that you can get from download.com/

Hi All,
Sorry castor66 I want REVERSE arp ; given a MAC find the IP not the other way around.
tmt7734 thanks for that; I do have a couple of ping sweepers but have a lot of networks, subnetworks and vlans. I also have a combination of static and dynamic addressing. I am trying to cut corners and find a RARP utilty that I cut and paste a MAC in to and it would do the reverse arp (IP resolution). My best bet so far is the cc-get-mac from (suggested by bofhrevenge2, as I can save the output (including DNS resolution) to a .csv. However I still need to scan all the IP ranges first!
If any one knows I specific utility for RARP I would be interested. (Please realise I understand ARP, RARP and windows and cisco based cmds)
Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back