Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is there an Inverted input mask for data entry. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jowens71

Technical User
May 13, 2009
US
I want to prohibit ###-## (Ex: 123-10), but I want to allow all other values. Is this possible? The problem I am having is that users frequently enter ###-## (Ex: 123-10)when the correct format is ##-### (Ex: 10-123), or a number of other codes that we have set up. There is no consistancy to the syntax of the other codes so a standard input mask will not work, but I do need to prohibit ###-## because it is a common mistake made by the end users.

Thank you,
Jonathan

Hi,

What about a TABLE of values?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

It's an good thought, but there are too many and there are circumstances that a note is required. It would be perfect if I could just prohibit that one value. Kind of like a NOT logical statment. I'm thinking that it may be that as simple as it sounds, there may not be a way to do what I am attempting.

Thanks,
Jonathan

but there are too many
How many is TOO many?

Can the user make up a new value out of whole cloth?

Skip,
[sub]

Yes, unfortunately the user can make up a new value out of the whole cloth. I did not originally design the database and it is far from normalized. I am trying to quietly manipulate this entry without trigering an act of congress, meetings, etc, to streamline the input. A table would require feedback from multiple users and it is a can of worms best left unopened. Thank you for your efforts though. :)

Does the user enter data via a FORM?

Skip,
[sub]

No, it is a quote log that was set up as a table. Again, another great thought. It would be easy to use VB to apply logical arguments to a textbox.
Thanks,
Jonathan

If you use VBA then you want to trap
Code:
function(Entry as string) as boolean
dim a 

Entry = true

if instr(Entry, "-") = 0 then Entry =false

a = split([EntryValue],"-")

if len(a(0))=3 and len(a(1))=2 then Entry = false

end function

Skip,
[sub]

Very cool, but I can not use VB within a table, can I? It would have to be on a form, right?
Thanks,
Jonathan

I thought I would give you a star because if I had a little more flexibility, you have given me several different solutions.
Thank you,
Jonathan

A table is not the place to trap errors. User entry should NEVER be directly into a table. Its a nightmare within a cataclysm.

Skip,
[sub]

You are preaching to the choir. I am not the admin for this particular database and I am trying to work within the confines that I can get away with. It is a classic problem in a lot of companies, if something is working nobody wants to fix it. This particular log really is not being used to collect and organize data. It is just a log to assign numbers to quotes. There is project name, engineer name, bid date and a quote number. There are no addresses, phone numbers contacts, etc. The table has been in existance for about 4 years and nobody has expanded upon it. There is no chance for me to change the system, but that does not stop me from wanting to improve it a little. You have answered my question, I can't do what I am looking to do within a table. Thanks again for all you effort.
Jonathan

What are the consequences of this mistake? Can you at least run a monthly (weekly?) exception report to highlight erroneous entries?

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back