Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there an easy way of populating client setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopsy

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2002
AU

Does anyone know of an easy way of automatically populating the client setup fields when a user logs in to a PC for the first time (i.e. when creating the mail profile on a client PC, having a default value for the Exchange server and mailbx)

I'd like to avoid the issue where users try this themselves and dont know the values so create an incorrect profile. All users at a particular site use the same server, and 99% of mailbox names are identical to user names. If I could somehow apply a policy that set a default value for the correct server name and defaulted to using the logged in domain account as the mailbox name, that would save a lot of hassle.

Any ideas on how to do this, or another solution to the problem?

I've been doing a bit more digging since I posted, and had come across the notes on prf files. I've created one, which seems to work on a one off basis, but what is the best way to deploy this? I had hoped that if I ran it on each machine once, it would store the info for any subsequent user. Obviously not the case, you need to run each time for each user. I don't want to put in the login script, as it prompts the user with a warning about writing profile info. This is only likely to confuse new users.

This might help you a little: faq96-4996

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Creating a maintenance release with the Office Resource Kit will solve this.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Download the Outlook Deployment Kit (ODK) for the version of Outlook installed at your site, and you'll get the tools you need to push the configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back