Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there an ATI Radeon 9000 video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pctechnician

Technical User
Feb 10, 2003
US
I purchased and recieved an ATI radeon 9000 card today. a site was selling it oem for cheap. a did some research on the ati site for the card, but they didnt have any 9000 cards, only 9000 pro cards. i did multiple searches and found only 9000 pro cards. i thought maybe the site made a mistake and forgot to put the pro on the listing.

now i have an ati card which i dont know what it is.

is there an ATI radeon 9000?

I forgot to add, were they feeding me b.s or is there something that i should know. because i wanted the 128MB and the card looks like the 64 MB.

i found some documentation on the ati site about the radeon 9000.

If it is "Powered by" then ATI didn't make it. iSeriesCodePoet
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]

You'll see this same pattern with all of ATI's other GPUs too, the 9100, 9500, & 9700. ATI will manufacturer & sell only the Pro versions themselves which are at higher clock speeds and offer better ram. Then third party manufacturers can offer either the regular or the Pro versions.

Seems the most popular manufacturer using ATI chips other than ATI is becoming just for a reference example, and there you can see the many different versions of the Radeon cards that are offered.

GPUs below the 9000 (ex 8500) do not follow the pattern as when originally released, cards made with those chips were manufactured exclusively by ATI.

I'm running an ATI 9000 (128Mb)(Powered by ATI)(Saphire) on a Biostar M7MKE m/b, 950Mhz Athlon, 524Mb RAM, SB Live Value, WinME and am well satisfied with it.

Go to the ATI site and click on "Powered by ATI", and somewhere on the page you'll find a link to a list of the manufacturers who make the boards. Most likely yours will be Sapphire, but if you received an installation cd it should have Sapphire on it. When you determine (positively) who built your card, you can click on their name in the list mentioned above and get updated drivers for it. Be sure and follow the instructions carefully when installing the drivers. (uninstall your present display driver, changing it to "Standard Display" type before installing your new drivers.

pctechnician:The "BUILT BY" 9000 cards were mobility cards(notebooks). Click on this link, scroll down to the faqs and click on " How do I identify my ATI Product".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back