Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there an alternative to building a query in Design view or Wizard 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

powahusr

Technical User
Jan 22, 2001
US
I am looking for an interface where I can enter a SQL Statement in Access (An interface similar to SQLPlus), other than “Creating a query in Design view or using the Wizard. I just want to be able to copy and paste a query string, or just modify it. Is there such a tool or interface in Access where I can achieve this? Thanks in advance.

When you create a new query or edit an existing query, you can select to see it in SQL View by using the View button (right under the File menu item). Right click on it and select SQL.

Is this what you were looking for? Terry M. Hoey

Actually, I was looking for a way so I wouldnt have to do all that. In other words, I don't want to have to work off of an existing query in order to run a different one. I'm looking for a one stop method of running queries. I guess i'm spoiled by Oracle's, "SQLPlus" utility. In SQLPlus, I just open the utility and enter SQL commands. If Access cannot do this, is there a known plug-in or 3rd party tool that can do what Im looking for? I would even like to create queries and store them in a file for Access to run when instructed to.

I hope you understand what im saying. Thanks

You don't have to create a query in order to go to the SQL view, when you go into query design don't add any tables just click cancel and then switch to SQL view.

Or you can create a Module with multiple functions (each running SQL) and call them when needed.

I hope that will help.

I thjnk i understand the problem as i've worked in oracle sql plus for a long time. as long as i can see u can't use access sql editir as oracle sql plus editor :( but things will be different if u r using sql server.

Cheers!
Aqif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back