Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there an advantage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Drisnil

MIS
Mar 29, 2003
US
Is there an advantage in purchasing a 2911 ISR G2 wireless router with 15/23 port switch module over purchasing the ISR separately from the switch?

I need 16 port Gigabit switch and a wireless router for a testbed project I have here at work. It has to be business quality, can't be consumer or prosumer products, although I am not familiar with offerings in the small business arena. I remember that there was a draw back when adding switch modules to an ISR because you would loose some functionality in Trunking, tagging, or X ,but that was a while back, I am not sure if it still the issue. I am spec'ing this as: Good, Better, Best proposal as I have to justify this to directors that aren't IT savvy. Also, I'm on the East Coast and my company doesn't currently have a preferred reseller for networking equipment, any ideas? Yes, I did contact pre-sales at Cisco Systems, and the 2911 is what they recommended.

THe basic idea is:

Internet
|
(Router)---(Switch)-(VLAN B: TestBed)-(VLAN A: Employees)-(VLAN C: Guests)
|
Intranet

Thoughts?

Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back