Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is there a way

Status
Not open for further replies.

warmongr

MIS
Mar 17, 1999
US
Is there a way in Linux to lock an account after 5 unsuccessful log on attempts?<br><br>Where are the PAM Security conf files found?<br>

Read the man page on 'faillog', it has the information you want. Th -m option sets the limits on failed logins.<br><br> <p>Michael Regan<br><a href=mailto:mregan@bccs-ca.com>mregan@bccs-ca.com</a><br><a href= Cat Computer Systems</a><br>Black Cat Computer Systems build Linux servers and work<br>
stations for the small office. Our systems feature the AMD<br>
line of processors. They are an excellent balance of price,<br>
performance and reliability.<br>

One more.&nbsp;&nbsp;How can I lock down the root login so that you cannot log in directly as root.&nbsp;&nbsp;ie.&nbsp;&nbsp;Log in as yourself and assume root.<br><br>Thanks<br>war.

Anyone have information on getting faillog to work on RH 6.2 ?&nbsp;&nbsp;I set faillog -m 5 username.&nbsp;&nbsp;After that I can log in a thousand time with the wrong password and never get locked.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back