Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is there a way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonS

MIS
Sep 7, 1999
US
Visit site
Is there a way that my answering machine can pick up another call while I am on line. Right now it just rings and rings and rings while I am online. And I want it to answer anyone got any ideas?<br>
<br>

J<br>
this depends on the type of phone lines you have coming into the answering machine. Are they just POTS lines or are they coming in from an office type setting.<br>
<br>
LZR1

Hmmm....<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I thought that's what they came out with voice-mail for....it picks up any & all incoming calls & takes messages for you; whether you're away, on the phone, on-line, or asleep....it hasn't missed 2 calls on us yet ;) <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

it is a regular house phone with an 80$ cordless phone with digital answering machine. <br>
<br>
Anyone ever hear of Callwave? I guess it is free and takes messages for you but how is it going to work if people calling me don't get a busy signal it just keeps ringing?<br>
<br>
Thanks <br>

I know you can disable call waiting with any dialup connection. You may want to try that and see if callwave will work with that.

CallWave works just fine on Win2K, and 98.&nbsp;&nbsp;Haven't tried it on SE or 95 but would expect no problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;Cost is 1 or 2 bucks/mo to local TelCo, and CallWave service is free.<br><br>Busy signal...<br>While you are on the Internet, the caller will not hear a busy signal, but will be quickly forwarded via 800 number to CallWave.&nbsp;&nbsp;There, the caller will be greeted with a pleasant, generic female voice, and prompted to leave a message.&nbsp;&nbsp;The callers' message, as a wav file will be sent to your machine and played for you within a few seconds.&nbsp;&nbsp;The problem for me is, using this free service, I can't record my own greeting and prompt for my caller to hear.<br><br>If phone is tied up on a voice call, the caller will hear what he always has, depending on whether or not you have call waiting.<br><br>Other services, that are almost free do allow custom prompts.<br><br>A couple thoughts, both with their own shortcomings.<br><br>Message service at TelCo.&nbsp;&nbsp;This will take voice mail no matter what use the phone line is put to.&nbsp;&nbsp;Obvious shortcoming if only one line is available, is the need to get offline to use the phone to check messages.<br><br>Call forwarding, not to CallWave but to a second line and ans machine.&nbsp;&nbsp;Shortfall would be need for second line.<br><br>Bulletproof would be TelCo and CallWave combo, I guess.<br><br>bye ... jrc

there are programs available at <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> that can do all kinds of things that you might want to do.&nbsp;&nbsp;It can direct the message to your pc, ect.&nbsp;&nbsp;You need to get busy call forwarding from your telephone company for this program to work.&nbsp;&nbsp;It's only about $2.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back