Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to unlock system object tables for editing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davefeet

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
US
Is there a way to unlock the system tables.

If I go into to tools>option>view(tab) and then under show select "system object"

I want to be able to edit those tables. DO you know of a way to do this.

SLC: Greatest snow on earth!!!

WHen I open it I cant edit it. I want to edit the fixed width delimated table, and it wont let me edit it. I 'm in the table but I can't edit it....

SLC: Greatest snow on earth!!!

If you're using Access/JET security, you may check under Tools->Security->User and Group Permissions to see whether you have permissions, and if not, who does have permissions, to edit the table. I think you can assign yourself permissions if you need to...

...but again, why do you need to edit a system table?

--
Find common answers using Google Groups:

Corrupt MDBs FAQ

If you THINK you need to edit system tables, I think you need remedial reading in a few areas. You are either a LOT more capable than almost everyone in these fora or not qualified to edit this information. Posting the question belies the latter.

I do not mean to be HASRH, but this needs to be said -without mincing words.

Editing system information in a relational database can be quite harmful to the database.

MichaelRed
mlred@verizon.net

I think you are trying to open or edit MsysACE's table. As stated above be VERY carefull if you change ANY table. Remember work with a copy of the data base NOT the orginal. :)

HI

Is the answer to this that you should be using the builtin functionality of Access/VBA to update these tables, thus if you wish to add a table use the .create method of the tabledefs collection, if you want to add a field use the .create method of the fields collection, and so on and so on, the data is stored in the systen tables, but you manipulate it via the methods provided, in that way suitable checks are maintained to prevent you from screwing it all up,

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

If you want to hide a table in the database windows so that other users can't select it, preface the table's name with 'Usys'. For example, if your table's name is employee, change it to UsysEmployee. This makes your table into a system object which access does not display. To see this table later, choose view, options, show system objects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back