Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to sequentially search a form field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvanace1

MIS
Sep 26, 2005
US
Is there a way to sequentially search a form field? Meaning, is there a way to place the cursor in a specific locked field and begin typing the desired value (without Ctrl-F) and have Access start searching automatically?

Thanks, Eleanor

When you type into a field you are entering data into a record. Access isn't going to search for anything.

Explain what you are trying to acheive and someone will assist.

No, the field in the form is locked so the actual data cannot be modified. I have a user that would like to just start typeing there search criteria. Then with every key-stroke have access narrow the search results.

And what about a combobox with AutoExpand set to true ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

I changed the field to a combo box and set AutoExpand to True - but that didn't work. Did I do it wrong?

You cannot (easily) use the same field as a data entry field and a search field.

If you want to find a record in your form you should add a second combo box to the form, using the control wizard and make sure you select the option to 'find a record in my form'.

Ypu other main alternative is to use the filter by form feature if thatis available on your toolbar.

Adding a second combo box to the form, using the control wizard and make sure you select the option to 'find a record in my form'works. Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back