Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to remove 1 pt off of an object in illustrator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tootsietails

Technical User
Aug 17, 2009
US
In illustrator, is it possible to actually remove a 1 pt stroke-width all the way off of an object? in other words, I want the look of a stroke, but I want it removed off of the object so on any background it is GONE. I am able to make it appear gone by stroking it in the same color as the background, but since this image will be used on multiple backgrounds, that will not work. What I am wanting is to take/remove a narrow bit off of it... so there virtually ISN'T a stroke, but the object looks thinner.

In photoshop, this would be the approximate equivalent: photoshop select > modify; select the whole object and shrink selction by one pixel, and inverse select and delete. Is there a way to do this in Illustrator, and if so, how?

...it would help greatly if you can post an image link to a screen shot of the artwork in question...

...from your description i can only suggest you use a clipping mask, but would be handy to see a screen shot in case another method would be more sufficient...

many thanks,
andrew

...as your probably aware, illustrator is a different beast to photoshop, so clipping objects is not always straight forward...

...with complex objects you sometimes need to build the clipping shape based upon the artwork that already exists, and getting to that stage can often mean expanding strokes, combining using the pathfinder functions, using offset paths, then expanding again, to eventually get a single compound shape that can then be used as a clipping mask...

...sometimes you can get away with creating a selection using photoshop, converting that to paths, and then transferring the path back to illustrator, use that as clipping mask, but depends how accurate you need to be...

...spot on accuracy means more work in illustrator...

andrew

...as you describe that you have managed to stroke the object, i assume you actually have a single complete path around the object, you should be able to use that path (on top of your artwork), offset it by -1pt (effect > path > offset path) , expand it (object > expand appearance) and then use that as a clipping mask (select everything, choose object > clipping mask > make)...

andrew

...note that clipping masks don't remove anything, they are merely hidden..

...if you need to physically remove areas, you need to use the pathfinder functions...

...but without seeing what you have that may not be required...

andrew

...good to hear!!

...well done!!

: )

andrew
(everyone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back