Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to read a variable length file with EC Map?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdiTek

Programmer
Mar 20, 2003
US
I'm trying to setup ECMap's 835 Map to read a variable length file.
Is this possible?
I have the fixed length file format running in production just fine but now administration is requesting variable length.
Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Regards,
Daren

Daren,
I don't know if this will help, but the ECMap User Reference on Import Definition (Chapter 9 in my version) indicates you can bring in the definition of a "delimited "file. That would allow for fields to fluctuate in size or be absent entirely. You might want to ask administration if they could produce the variable file as a delimited file; you would still need to know the maximum length of each field as well as the delimiter used.
I wish I could be of more help, but this is something I've never done, so all I can go by is what it says in the manual.

Thanks for your help.
I was trying to do this w/ a non-delimited file from the mainframe to a server where Gateway & the map processes it.
I'll try a delimited file format.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back