Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to "curve" the corners of a rectangular image?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michellerobbins56

Programmer
Jan 10, 2006
GB
Hi

I have a few images which are all rectangular in shape with normal 'sharp' corners. However I would ideally like to soften the shapes and make the corners 'curved'. Is there an option or tool to do this in Photoshop 7?

Thank you very much for any help.

I don't know photoshop at all well but I would suggest a mask (quick mask), using a circle select in the corners to cut circles out of the corners, then use rectangle select to select out the middle. That would leave you with a mask with curved corners. After that you could apply that in any way you wanted.
Just a thought.

Trojan.

In the tools pallette there is a tool ( to the right of the pen tool) which has a pop-out selection. Press Shift/U until this tool appears. Now you can choose from the various options in the top horizontal options bar. You can set the size of the rectangle as well as the radious of the corners.
I use CS but I believe it is the same in P/S 7.

oops, sorry, I forgot to add that you use the rectangle as a mask to crop your images.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm fairly new to Photoshop. What is a mask and how do I create one? Is this fairly simple?

michelle - As you know by now there are a million ways to do the same thing in Photoshop. mcallisto's suggested tutorial is a great one.

Another option is to use the vector shape tools (found under the text tool). Hit the flyout box and use the Rounded Rectangle Tool - define your radius, click and drag, and you get a box with rounded corners. Now right-click on your layer and select Rasterize Layer.

...kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back