Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to protect only certain columns in a table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starrizzo

Technical User
Mar 22, 2004
US
I have a table that has a few columns that i want to protect so they cant be changed. Can this be done?

Hi!

This can certainly be done with a form. The control that contains the information from the column you want protected should have an enable and/or a locked property on the data tab of the property sheet. Set the enabled to false and/or the locked to true.

I don't think that you can stop data entry in a field at the table level unless you can do it through Access security.

hth

Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

Why are you letting users enter data directly on to the tables. This is a very bad design flaw.

As a general rule, you (or your users) shouldn't really be working in tables. Otherwise, why not use Excel!

On a form, as Jebry was saying, right-click the field control representing the table field and choose properties. On the Data tab, set the locked property to 'yes'.

I wouldn't set the Enabled property to 'No' though. Doing so will gray out the field and make it difficult to read, unless this is your intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back