Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is there a way to password protect .txt and .exe files in XP Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XWalrus2

Programmer
May 27, 2002
US
I am running xp pro, and would like to know if there is any way to password protect certain .txt and .exe files without password protecting the whole drive. I mean password protect as unreadable or unexecutable and unmodifiable with a password.

convert your drive in NTFS

after create multi-users session

Create a folder just for your username with full permission and no access to all other one...

That's it!

any way to do it without converting to NTFS? From what i understand, that's not much of a fun process.

If your using NTFS read this thread.

Password protecting a NTFS drive
thread779-495171

The answer is applicable to files or complete drive.

If FAT32 protect it with a third party file password protection program or use something like Win Zip to zip the file and password protect it.

do you recommend any specific third party password protection?

Well it sort of depends on your needs...

The best/easiest way is to use zip folders - a standard and much-maligned feature in WinXP.

"Zip folders" is a way to create and to use Zip files as if they were system folders from Windows Explorer. Un-aided, WinXP doesn't seem to provide a way to password files in a zip folder. It does however prompt you for the password when opening or extracting a file.

If you want to use zip folders to protect files on your WinXP machine you will need a 3rd party zip utility that supports adding files with a password. There are lots out there, but if you need cheap (free) there is always FreeByte Zip.

Many will pooh-pooh zip passwords as being easily cracked. Well first of all you may not need super security anyway. But secondly, passworded zip files can indeed be created with reasonable security. The main thing is to use strong passwords (longer than 7 chars, avoid dictionary words) and avoid storing Office documents and such in passworded zip files.

I found a lot on this on the web a while back. For secure passworded zip files the basic rules are:

* Long non-dictionary passwords

* Do not store file types that have common constant headers like Word documents (there is a "known-plaintext vulnerability" where if the 1st 80 bytes or so can be guessed the password can easily be cracked).

* Never use WinZip (there is a problem with many Zip files made using WinZip that leaves info behind in the file making it easy to crack).

To open a zip folder in Windows Explorer right-click it and select Explore.

Look at it like this: it is easy and it costs you nothing to try. No NTFS required.

Oops, forgot to include a couple of references:

ZipUnlock's Guide to Recovering Password Protected WinZip and Zip Archives:

See document under heading/link "Secure Data Exchange" about zip security:

Those two sources pretty much sum up all I've found on the topic.

What it comes down to is you can't always trust computing "lore" that says things like "zip encryption isn't secure."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back