Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to limit or delete mail from the sent items folder 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

damifino

MIS
Sep 4, 2001
US
We are trying to clean up our exchange server and have found that users do not seem to want to do any housekeeping with the sent items folder. Is there a way to limit or clean out this folder that is controlled from echange?
Thanks for any help.
Andy

There is no way that I know of. What you have to do and enforce is a company policy to limit mailbox sizes at whatever level you see fit. This can cause issues with users but hey company rules etc come first.

With regards to sent items, you can set up archiving to automatically move the messages to a pst file which would then lower the mailbox size. Doing this for all users could be a night mare so write a document to show users how to do this.

You will need full management back for this and putting a strong case forward can be awkward as we all know.

Yes... you can set up a mailbox policy that will check the information store as often as you like. It will even send you reports...

On your server, open the Exchange System Manager. Create a new Recipient Policy, then choose Mailbox Manager Settings. The Exchange online help is reasonably helpful in getting this set up.

After you create your policy, you must assign it to Server, under the Server Properties>Mailbox Management tab.

Before you implement automatic deletion, I recommend you set your policy to log only and send you the report. Then you'll have the opportunity to analyze who is keeping excessive amounts of email. You may want to just send them e-mails to remind them to get rid of mail they don't need anymore.

PSC

Thanks PScottc I finally found this at microsoft, also found out I do not have any Sp's installed so I get to do that this weekend. Hope all goes well!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back