Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to find server details

Status
Not open for further replies.

hok1man

Technical User
Feb 16, 2008
Hi guys,

Just wondering whether we can find server profile/details in unix, like server located, etc.

and hardware configuration..

Thanks guys,

What flavour of Unix?

How would the server know where it was located??? :)

Annihilannic.

Well
Code:
date +%Z
will give you time zone which narrows the location down a bit. ;-)

On the internet no one knows you're a dog

Columb Healy

If you know the names and locations of all of your switches and routers (eg. you're looking at an internal network), a traceroute can show you the path to the server. Knowing which switch and subnet it's on can sometimes help locate it.

If it's not one of "your" machines, you'll probably have to ask whoever does own it.

As far as server configuration, it depends on which Unix. On Solaris "prtdiag" gives a lot of information.

Columb, just because a server's default TZ is a specific value, doesn't mean it has to be located in that timezone. Also, different users can be located halfway across the world from each other and may have different TZ variables set...

Location info for a server: you could put that in a TXT record in a DNS database for instance...

HTH,

p5wizard

Hi Anni,

I would expect once the server installed, there is some profile that system admin needs to fill and I would like to find that if it's available.

my server is solaris 10,

prtdiag doesn't give me much information about location.

As far as I know there is no such profile that Solaris requests you to fill in. If there is any such procedure it would be something specific to your site, so only people who work there or your local documentation or asset management database will help you find it.

If you have a Sun Support contract there may be some information associated with the contract. Also if you run Sun Explorer sometimes information about the system is recorded in the explorer configuration file (look for the SUNWexplo package).

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back