Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to extract WINS Data base? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooman48

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2001
CA
Please let me know if there is a way to extract all the machines registered in WINS database.

Thanks,
Hooman

I've never tried this but...the WINS database is stored in the format called a JET database engine.

MS Access 2000 has the ability to view this type of database. Therefore, you should be able to view your WINS database through Access 2000. Once you can view it in Access 2000, you will be able to print out, sort, etc the WINS database.

Here is more information:

If you just want to back up the data, you can use the Export function to create a backup file of the database...

There is a winsdmp.exe utility in the nt resource kit

Bill L'Hotta

I tried to use the winsdmp.exe in the resource kit and piped all the info from the WINS database to a txt file. The problem now is that it adds a extra character like ^C at the end of NetBois name column for some entries. Is there a way this can be avoided. I need to get this information so that I can then import it to SQL Server 7.0 for further processing.

Also is there any other way that the info can be imported to SQL Server.

Thanks..
Lakshmi.

If the report puts ^C at the end of some entries, search and replace it in Word replacing it with nothing.

You can actually just stop the WINS service, copy the wins database to another server that has wins installed, stop that service, paste the files over the existing ones and start the services...

Works under NT and 2000.

I tried opening the database using Access 2000, but I get a message saying Unrecognized database format <filename>

Do I have to install anything else along with Access 2000 for this Wins.mdb file to open.

Thanks
Laksh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back