Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is There A Way To Apply Color To (Vectors) ???...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mersyone

Technical User
Nov 16, 2006
US
Hello All!
I'm glad I've finally found a cool InDesign Forum Group!

IS THERE A WAY TO APPLY A COLOR TO A VECTOR (EPS, AI, etc)
OBJECT (similar to how you can do with grayscale TIFFs)???

I'm trying to use a master vector object so I don't have to go in and update each and every catalog I do. The company I do work has about 100+ different catalogs in which we switch out the 2-colors every round we send out. It's been a PAINFUL process to UPDATE.

So I wanted to try and make a MASTER TEMPLATE page with certain consistent elements placed in there as Vectors. This way when I need to update, for example; the company address, I figured all I have to do is change the MASTER VECTOR file linked to ALL the catalogs and then apply the color in InDesign for each. IS THIS DO-ABLE!???

Please tell me there is there a way to change the color to a MASTER vector file!

If anyone knows, you would make my life 10x much easier!
Thank you!

You might try using layered Illustrator files. The illustrator file would contain a different layer for each vector image. Then in ID, you can toggle which layer to turn on for the corresponding catalog version. I can outline the steps if you think this would be a viable solution. You obviously would need to replace existing images -- but you could name the new file with the same name or do a relink.

Oh really, InDesign allows you to toggle layers from Illustrator. Hmmmmm? Does this affect the print output as well? Can I hear more?

Also, I think I MIGHT HAVE JUST COME UP WITH A SOLUTION - This may OR may NOT work (Crossing fingers):

Since grayscale TIFFs seem to ultimately be the easiest to apply any color to straight in InDesign; thanks to new options in CS/CS2, I tried using a "LAYERED TIFF" file that contains a "SMART VECTOR OBJECT" layer.

So far so good!!! It seems to be working. But whether this will actually uphold when sending to the printing presses is another story. I don't know how user-friendly Layered TIFF files with vector objects are.

So in other words, this can either get me commended or I might be having to look for another job, lol!

Layered Illustrator files:

Create your illustrator file with art on separate layers: Layer1 - image 1, Layer2 - image 2, etc.
Save file as a PDF with compatibility set at ACRobat 6 or Higher. Check "Create Acrobat Layers from Top-Level Layers."
From InDesign, Place the PDF, making certain that "Show Import Options" is check before pressing Open. From the Place PDF palette, Select Layers Tab, choose which layer to be visible in the document by "toggling" the eye on/off. Select OK, and viola!

If you wish to change the visible layer, choose Object, Object Layer Options and toggle the eye on/off for the desired layer.

I believe the same layering file option is available with a PSD file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back