Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a small PBX that will work with only three CO lines? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugaree

Technical User
Sep 27, 2010
US
A customer is not willing to purchase additional phone lines (he currently has hree)yet he is interested in a PBX for four extensions.

Switch his phone lines over to a 3x endpoint SIP trunk and install an asterisk pbx.

The SIP lines will be cheaper than the phone lines and the asterisk pbx is free. You can charge him install costs and asterisk offer a support contract (not free)

Biglebowskis Razor - with all things being equal if you still can't find the answer have a shave and go down the pub.

Thanks Big L, I checked with the ISP / phone service provider and they do not offer SIP trunking, nor will the in the near future. Any other thoughts?

You need a Key System then. It allows users to see or answer calls on other lines and setup groups etc.

The link is only provided to show what a key system is, I haven't had any experience of these in over 20 years so can't recommend any current ones

Biglebowskis Razor - with all things being equal if you still can't find the answer have a shave and go down the pub.

You are a gem. But will they work in the U.S.?

You could also use an Avaya Partner ACS, the basic module in version R6.0 is 3 lines X 8 stations. On the secondary market you can find some decent pricing from several suppliers, like Metroline Direct. And it works in the USA, since it was designed here!

....JIM....

I would ask the customer what functionality they desire that requires a PBX. With 4 lines, I think I'd opt for centrex. With centrex lines you get PBX functionality thats managed by the telco provider which in my opinion is ideal for a small office.
If they plan to grow beyond 10 sets, then maybe a PBX is the best route, but 4 lines... centrex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back