Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a Procomm Plus replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

tceq

Technical User
Aug 4, 2009
US
We are upgrading to Windows 7 and would like to know if there is an other application i can use and will be supported. Thanks

One option might be to head to Google and search on Procomm. You'll see some sponsored ads on the right by some competitors that might get you headed in the right direction. Try searching a couple times in case an ad campaign doesn't have enough money assigned to it to display on each search.

FYI, I wouldn't be surprised if Procomm works more or less as well on Windows 7 as it does on XP/Vista, but I haven't run across anyone that's run it on the new platform yet.

If you're like me, not an experienced programmer, you may like the relative simplicity of Zoc. It has a branded version of Rexx, the programming language from OS/2. I'm trying some scripts concurrently with Zoc and Aspect to see which I find easier. Probably comes down to personal preference.

I use both Zoc and Procomm on my Nortel PBX's. For the most part they are very similar with just a different command; Waitfor vs. Zocwait... I am almost 98% a zoc user now, but still have a few scripts I prefer on Aspect, because I can't set dialog menus with Zoc.

Bottom line, I would recommend Zoc as an alternative.

We have been using Procomm Plus for the last 7 months with Windows 7, without any issues. All scripts run without error and it just keeps on working.

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help? Call Me Now!

Thanks the report, DocVic. When I recently tried installing version 4.8 on Windows 7, it seemed like the setup program didn't run at all, even when I chose to run as Administrator. Did you encounter any issues like this? I found an app on Microsoft's website (I'll include the link below for anyone else who might be interested) that supposedly would install an application in an previous Windows-compatiblity mode, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

If you're seeking a replacement to Procomm Plus Aspect scripts by conversion to a language supported on Windows platforms, like Visual Basic, you may want to check this link:

I know that project was carried out using an automated tool, and guess the results were satisfactory, seen their evaluation.

A couple of the groups I work with have migrated away from Procomm Plus and now use SecureCRT. It has SSH and other secure capabilities and it supports several mainstream scripting languages like VBScript, JScript, and PerlScript.

If you are a current customer of Nortel (now Genband or Avaya) they have a free terminal emulator for download at:
You can write scripts in CLIScript (basically JavaScript) or for simple tasks, its Batch scripting language.
One cool thing it that CLIScript has an XML Object (aka E4X).
Since it is JavaScript, just include json2.js (download from to make JSON available to your script.

There is a Script Manager utility which can concurrently run a script on multiple windows for a list of devices.

CLI*Manager scripting languages have nothing as powerful as Aspect's "when" command.
But more and more, as telnet gets disabled, CLIManager is the only option. Without a "when"-like command, the converted scripts are quite ugly when there are a variety of possible responses to a single command.
CLIManager can only handle successful logins - no failure scenarios are handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back