Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a problem with the Netgear FA311 and FIC AD11 motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
With the network card (Netgear FA311) installed the computer (with a FIC AD11 motherboard) would just hang in a black screen whenever it tried to restart itself but when the network is not inside it would restart fine.

This problem could be due to the IRQ's because i have a Sound Blaster Live installed but I'M LOOKING FOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE SOLUTION.

LIKE IF THE NETWORK CARD IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH THE MOTHERBOARD.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they are incompatible yet.
But you may want to make sure that the Network card is either in the last or 3rd PCI slot (Generally works better) and see if there are any Bios Flash upgrades for your bord on the FIC website.

Lately I've put together a few computers based off the AD11 motherboard. I've used a couple different cards, 3com 3c905b-tx, CNet Pro200b, RealTek (forget the model #), all have worked good. This motherboard is quirky with irq sharing, though I think this is common with all new boards (can anyone clarify this?). From the AGP slot to the end this is how the irq's are shared:
AGP slot, PCI 1, and PCI 5 shared
PCI 2 alone
PCI 3 and onboard sound shared
PCI 4 and USB ports shared

So it's obvious that the second PCI slot is the best one to test your network card in. And while it may seem bad to share irq's, somehow it's not bad at all, I've got five cards in my computer (video, scsi, nic, dvd decoder, tv-tuner) with the onboard sound and usb ports enabled, no poblems or slow-downs, go figure.

Also try a boot disk loading the MS-DOS drivers to determine if the network card is indeed bad or if it's just Windows.

Make sure you have turned off legacy support (DOS) for the soundblaster. It would load with your autoexec. Loading legacy support uses a IRQ and resouces. If you aren't using your serial ports you can disable them in BIOS to free up IRQ's.

K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back