Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a problem with Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

mizzy

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
AU
Hi there,

I'm using firewall software called Gauntlet 5.5 on NT4.
This server also acts as my proxy.

I'm having a really strange problem with the google web site. Whenever my users access the google web site and then try to access another web site they cannot, they are stuck on google!
The URL changes but the screen does not refresh.
Now I'm sure that this is a problem on my server but the problem only occurs with Google, no other web site causes this problem.
Have google changed their web site? do I need to open a few more ports on my firewall?

Many thanks for any help,

Hi Firebrand,

Very kind of you to post your findings.
You could be onto a winner here.

We are using IE 5.5/6.0
I have make the changes as per your instructions and it seems to be working OK. Google is working correctly!

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks very much,

Regards,

Hi Mizzy

Thanks for the prompt try and reply. Seems to be going ok at the moment, I'm going to have some users try out a few different pages they were also having issues with to see if they work and if so, shall be throwing out in a vbscript. Hopefully no more problems with it !!

Thanks
Dave

I had the same problem using the Sambar proxy/webserver. The problem was that Sambar was not processing HTTP 1.1 requests properly. Updating to the newest Sambar server (which was not available when Google switched) took care of the problem. Unfortunately the newest Sambar release seems to have ftp proxy issues.

Have a nice day!

hey everyone, You are on the right path here. I received an email out of the blue from Avirt Gateway tech support telling me my problems could be fixed by checking the HTTP 1.1 proxy box. I have been problem free for about a month now. I am using IE, haven't tried anything on netscape or mozilla 'cause we only use IE. Our Apple Macs never had a problem in the first place (go macs!). Avirt found my post while trolling these forums and contacted me. I thought they we out of business. turns out they have been bought by a UK company and all of their support ops have been moved across the pond.

Good Luck. Thorleif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back