Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a problem with Google?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mizzy

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
AU
Hi there
In the past week or so whenever users on our network connect to the google web sites and then try to change to another web site they get a problem, they cannot change to another web site. They are stuck on Google. This only happens when we attach to google.

Nothing on our network has changed so I'm wondering if the google web site has changed and that I need to open a few new ports on my firewall.

Any help appreciated.
Regards,

Hi Cdogg,

Well I guess I must have removed everything from the proxy server when it was rebuilt.(I uninstalled the Firewall/Proxy software and reinstalled it. I have also rebooted this server on countless occasions)
After doing this I got the same error.

mizzy.

Hi - I am also having this problem with Google - been driving me insane for weeks. I am using AnalogX as the proxy. The machine running the proxy has no problem because it connects directly to the Internet it is the clients that are in difficulty and have this 'sticky' Goolge experience.

Sounds like a caching problem.
There are no problems when I use a different proxy server. In my case I used Wingate as a test and the Google problem is solved.
Regards,

Mizzy - Did you have the original problem with AnalogX - you didn't post exactly which proxy server you were using.

I'd like to join the club, even though I can't contribute much.

I've got a home network with a WinXP host running analogx proxy serving win98(FE) and WinME clients. Both clients exhibit the Google problem. Most other sites work ok, including online banking, but occasionally I find a site that will not follow a link. It's definitely not a firewall issue and adaware/spybot find nothing.

Ihaven't tried another proxy yet.

Geoff

Hi Guys,

I should have said. I was using Gauntlet 5.5f running on a Windows NT4.0 SP6 server. This worked very well until around the beginning of March 2003. Since then my users get stuck with the google web site.

I have found another firewall and its free.
Its called Smoothwall and can be found at this site
You will need a burner to create the boot CD.

Its a linux based system but do not let that worry you. It is very easy to configure.

I am sure it was around March that my system went into 'sticky Google' mode. They must have changed something that has affected AnaolgX.

I suspect the fault is even more obscure than one thinks because I have one machine which has a home page of google.fr while the other one and the machine running the proxy have google.co.uk. I noticed that in amongst the odd results I get from the google.fr machine it picks up google.co.uk. It is as if it is picking up the home page of the machine running AnalogX - very strange indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back