Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a limit on # of characters for a GW6.5 Domain? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronstid

MIS
Nov 25, 2002
US
I have named one with 9 characters, and it isn't working correctly. ???

9 characters shouldn't be a problem. But usually when you have one that is more than 8, it will truncate it to 8.3 format when it creates the directories on the server.

What kind of problems are you having?

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

i always prefer under 8 as marv says the startup file is the wrong name and your looking at these complex tids

then you look at the name of the file and thing what's that ~ doing there

Sorry it took so long to get back with you guys. With your help/comments, I was able to find out that the truncation of the last character in the domain name was the cause of my problems. I have removed the domain completely and am starting over. This just shouldn't be this difficult! I'm sure it will go better when using the 8+3. Thanks for your help and I'll let you know if I need additional assistance. I REALLY appreciate your help.

I want to thank you all for your help on this. I FINALLY resolved my problem and was able to get the secondary domain and post office installed.

I removed the first ones I created where there were 9 characters in the domain name. It was causing problems that I didn't know how to fix. This was the easiest thing for me to do (under a lot of pressure) and then create new ones.

We also had a msgxx.db and/or user.db corrupted. I don't know if one had anything to do with the other, but both are fixed and working great!

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back