Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a good OLAP reporting tool 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

eas03

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2001
US
Is there a good OLAP reporting tool that can be used for both Oracle and SQL-Server?

We are trying to combine data from multiple databases and then roll up the data. We want slice and dice capabilities as well as general Key Performance Indicator reports.

I work for a software company that wants to integrate this type of reporting into their current product. Our product can use multiple Oracle or SQL-Server databases for data storage. We don't want a product that users would have to interact with. We have looked at Knosys since they have an API we can incorporate it into our product.

This is for an enterprise solution for numerous divisions using a database (Oracle or SQL-Server). Are there side-by-side comparisons somewhere on the web, so I can review the different products? All I see is this type of information offered for $2,000.00+.

This is a new area for us and I need help.

Hi Guys,

All of these are more then suitable but this shouldn't be a rat race to promote products. Most newer reporting/analysis/datamining tools offer the ability to access multiple sources for OLAP so it all comes down to more personal preference. The first thing you really need to think about is the scale of the reporting and whether you will be providing internet based reporting as these are two key differences in the majority of the products currently available. Good Luck, sounds liek an interesting project.

I'm using a program called Excel 2002. Allows for familiar analysis on the fly, charting, printing reports and no week long training classes. Users love it. Interfaces easily with prebuilt sql server 2k analysis cubes, though I haven't had to try it with Oracle.

You can no longer buy Segate info. The company is no longer called Seagate it is now called crystal decisions. Info has been renamed crystal enterprise. The tool that has replaced olap for info is called crystal analysis. It works well and is based on the same tool that was used on info. Version 7.5 was the last version of info and the current offering is version 8.5 with version 9 to come out in the spring. Get a demo of the full client of crystal analysis, it is very good.

Rob999 - I have excel 2002 installed and it lacks the ability needed for a web based distribution. You can only use it in a windows lan. It also lacks prebuilt interface control.

Hello OLAP guys...
We have installed the demo copy of Crystal Analysis 8.5 and have used the demo cubes that were provided (.cub). I would like to use cubes that have been created by PeopleSoft Application Engine resulting in .mdl cubes. Do you know how to accomplish this?
Thank you,
Sherry

I have developed a whole portal application with Office Web Components(OWC) in both Cold Fusion and ASP in less than a week. My issue was Proclarity and Cognos wanted a rediculous amount of money for licenses. So I visited the MSDN and found the FREE OWCs. I continued to talk to Tony over at Proclarity. I asked him what his 25k for 10 users was going to give me that Microsoft's OWCs couldn't.

Well, he didn't have an answer.. Need I say more....

OWCs offer graphing on the fly, excel export, gif snapshots of any web component object, dynamic querying and filtering, report building and format saving just for starters. There is so much free stuff in the MSDN go take a look.

Hope that helps......

Bygs :eek:)

Hello,

I have to make an evaluation over diefferent OLAP Tools like
Microsoft Analysîs Services,
MicroStrategy,
Cognos Powerplay,
Business Objects and
Hyperion Essbase.
Can you please tell about the negative things you experienced with one of these products?

Thanks!
Bettina

Check out before you spend too much of your own time.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that noboby appreciates how difficult it was.
- Steven Wright

Hi John,
thanks for your information! I already knew this site. Do know some other links?

Thanks a lot!
Bettina

Have a look at
OLAP4All is an out-of-the box management information application, providing managers and decision makers with accurate just-in-time business information.

Easy implementation stands for best in class time-to-value, simplicity at use for quick adoption. Consequently these are the pillars of the OLAP4All product philosophy

To download a free 30-day trial version, go to

Thank you for all the hints. But now we are at the end of our Evaluation step! I don't need more information!

Hi

So everyone had lots of OLAP Reporting solutions to suggest, but has anyone heard of GL Reporting and if so what do they think of it.
It can be used with Peoplesoft / JD Edwards and Analysis Services.

There are lots of OLAP tool in the market, out of which Cognos & BusinessObjects are most popular. Comparing these two, i find BO is more userfriendly than Cognos, the BO product suite has an extensive features to satisfy almost any kind of reporting requirements. Also you have a lots of features like schedule, email, publish, restrict and so on....

If anyone is looking at a very good reporting tool that is an add in to Excel, primarily uses Hyperion Essbase, and has many capabilities that aren't available in other Essbase reporting prgrams, check out VizXL.

It's sold through

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back