Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a good OLAP reporting tool 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

eas03

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2001
US
Is there a good OLAP reporting tool that can be used for both Oracle and SQL-Server?

We are trying to combine data from multiple databases and then roll up the data. We want slice and dice capabilities as well as general Key Performance Indicator reports.

I work for a software company that wants to integrate this type of reporting into their current product. Our product can use multiple Oracle or SQL-Server databases for data storage. We don't want a product that users would have to interact with. We have looked at Knosys since they have an API we can incorporate it into our product.

This is for an enterprise solution for numerous divisions using a database (Oracle or SQL-Server). Are there side-by-side comparisons somewhere on the web, so I can review the different products? All I see is this type of information offered for $2,000.00+.

This is a new area for us and I need help.

eas03: You could try looking at Seagate's Info product. This incorporates the ease of use and power of Crystal Reports with a really slick OLAP worksheet application which makes viewing cubes v.v. straightforward. That combined with the fact that you can include security restrictions on who gets to see the cubes in the first place plus an event-driven scheduling engine makes this a contender in my (admittedly biased) view. The other major benefit is scalability as Info will accommodate large numbers of viewers (largest we have as an active site is >2500 users) David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Seagate Enterprise Partner

Try using Cognos Products I feel they will be very fine with both Oracle and SQL Servers.

MicroStrategy has a full API for such integration. Apparently they are used by peoplesoft, jd edwards and informatica for such apps.

have a look at Active Analyst suite from European Management Systems - they do a whole suite of reports, cube viewers and all sorts of stuff. (Much cheaper than anyone else). Its the best I've found.

Cheers,
(PS - I'm not on commisision! - but worth sharing a good tool)
Fi.

:)

Have you looked at Brio? I've implemented Brio at a mid-stream oil company that had both ORCL & SQLServer DBs. The tables in both systems tended to average around 3-8GB and using local results worked well for combining both types of tables into 1 pivot table or report. It also, had a nice front-end and was easy for IT literate folks to be productive. However, non-IT folks needed to be trained to understand some of the more advanced features from a user persective (they are spreadsheet users and any additional features not available on a spreadsheet were considered advanced). Thanx, B.

There is a product that I have worked with called PowerOLAP which can connect to both SQL and Oracle and consolidate the data into one cube. Try these guys.

Hi

You can try Actuate. It can access any database either SQL or Oracle. It can access data from both the databases in one report.(Not only from SQL or Oracle, it can use Text file, XML File etc as a datasource). You can even customize your report depending on user requirments. If you any questions regarding this or do you think I can help you in providing you more detail about Actuate let me know.

Thanks

Eas03,

I would suggest a couple of things. First, you need to decide if you are keeping your data in a MOLAP or ROLAP structure? Each has its own stengths and weaknesses.

I would suggest one platform to view your information from. From what you discribed, I would use SQL Server, OLAP Services.

Next, I would choose a flexible reporting and analisys tool that will give you a combination of structured reports and interactive analisys (even if it will not be in the current release). I would use Crystal Enterprise for this function. It provides the best of both worlds.

Further analisys of your business needs may be in order. There are firms like mine that provide both the software and expertise in deploying these types of solutions. I would plan to consult someone like us. Developement of slice and dice data can be a mind bender if you are not prepared for it.

Thomas
Data Management Group
Transforming Data into Information

If you need Web reporting, we are using AlphaBlox. Although we use it primarily for Essbase,it has connection to Oracle, Sybase, MS SQL, ... It is a set of Java applets that is highly customizable, has drilling functions, write back, security, etc. You can have data from different sources/database on the same screen; basicaly, the only limit is your Java/JavaScript knowledge. Try it, it seems to be used by lots of companies.

Take a look at OnVision from MIS AG ( It is a really flexible frontend with features I have not seen in other products up to know. Reports are defined in a ms excel like frontend with an unseen technic called "hyperblocks".

OnVision supports the following OLAP Databases:
ODBO: MSOLAP,SAP BW,Applix TM1
Hyperion Essbase
Oracle Express
MIS ALEA
and all kinds of relational databases via odbc

ProClarity is the best! Accessing a cube built in MS Analysis Services, ProClarity shows outstanding graphical and traditional grid type views. The end user can make the choice!

MS Analysis Service can connect via ODBC to any open data source. (Oracle, IBM, SQL Server, etc.)

We use Cognos (Powerplay) and Business Objects, these are both powerful OLAP tools, from two leading BI Vendors.

You could try microstrategy 7 as they offer an very complete api which is xml based - therefore easy to integrate with other platforms. In addition they support IBM data joiner and can work with both databases with no need to get involved in cumbersome etl.

Business objects is good but for enterprise wide stuff I prefer MSTR as it is easy to scale and does most of the work on your existing database systems.

Hello;

I am looking for an OLAP analytical reporting tool that has the following features:

MUST HAVE

* Connectivity to MS OLAP
** Pivoting
*** Export Capability
**** Ease of use
***** Charting

=========================================
Additional

****** Alerts
****** Printing
******* Web enabled

Please share your experiences with me!!!

Thanks
Kat

PowerOLAP by a company named PARIS Technologies. By far the best. These people have been on the cutting edge of OLAP.

have a look at
Active OLAP Suite (AOS) is a web enabled Business Intelligence portal that supports multiple data sources, including MS analysis services. Fully functional olap reporting / graphing. Delived through a scaleable portal. Would meet all your requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back