Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a distance limitation on Home Pc Networking with Cat 5 cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBGB

Technical User
Mar 25, 2001
US
I am going to set up a PC network with Win98 SE to my neighbor's house, he has Win98 also. He lives two houses down. We are going to string the CAT 5 cable, from PC to PC. Is there a distance factor, which might degrade the signal/performance?
Are there any other factors which might come into play? I have a Netgear RT311 DSL Router and a Netgear EN104 4-port hub.

There is a distance limit of 200-300 feet. With the router you should not have a problem hooking this up. Your real problem will be with the cable going throu your neighbors yard. :)

Use the hub on your side and the router on your friends side.

thanks, It looks like I will sring the cable about 250 ft. or so. The great thing is I know my neighbors and they said that I could do it. Anyway, if I have to go over the 300 ft. maximum, what other pieces of hardware could I use? Is there such a thing as a signal booster or something to push the signal over greater distances?

An alternative is wireless networking. Search for that on the web. There also has been some discussion about running this stuff over the power lines but I haven't kept up with where it stands. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

actually, with CAT5 the distance limit is 350' without a repeater... some use a repeater, some just throw a little hub in the middle somewhere to boost the signal... Shane
and now for the impressive abbreviations:
DOA, SOL, AWOL, PEBKAC, id10t, FUBAR

You might consider placing the Netgear EN104 4-port hub at your next door neighbors house which would cut each cable run in half. This should bring you well within limitations.

Alex

thanks you guys rock!! I am going to shoot a line over the 2 middle houses that separate ours. Then I will pull the cat 5 cable over top of the houses...hehehe I know...I know....

You could investigate an infrared link, also a microwave link.
Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Stringing CAT-5 network cable outside is risky. First, I'm not a lawyer, but the middle neighbor may have something to say about cables over his home. Secondly, outdoor network cables are likely to get zapped in a storm, which will promptly fry everyones connected computers and associated equipment. I'd go with wireless - much cleaner and more sensible.

The wireless solution is certainly an option, however given the 802.11 b wireless protocol is easily hacked, you would be loosing any security and someone who likes to hack from a mobile pc could easily sit outside your houses, connect to your network and go surfing to all types of places. This subject was discussed earlier today on techtv.net. Until the mfg's of the wireless gear put in built in security on their devices the 2.4 GHZ wireless equipment is too risky, at least for a business to consider in the open. Microwave would be the best solution and less subject to fading as would infrared, but certainly costly. If you can get your neigbors permission, I would suggest burying the cable between the homes with the hub in the middle as previously suggested. Of course your neigbor might want some renumeration for the small amount of electricity it would consumre. Are you two trying to share the cost of the DSL or cable connection?

Mike Earnhardt
Mi Hi Services
Potomac, MD

I disagree that security is a concern. After all, this is not the Pentagon, or even a Corporate network. Just 2 home guys wanting to chat or play games. This is exactly what wireless was designed for!

I wonder about safety. Could there be any danger of lightning being attracted to this copper strung over a roof? Another issue is how well the Cat5 will stand up to weather - I haven't seen any indoor/outdoor Cat5 wire where I buy cable. Perhaps if you could run it under the eaves it would be safer and less weather-beaten, except the part strung between houses.

Don't give up there's a solution here someplace.

Something to consider - ground loops and ground potentials. Each house electrical "gound" is referenced to earth at the house and since we have two different locations, you will see some potential between the two grounds. I have seen 10V between adjacent buildings, heck I've even seen 5V between floors in the same office tower. Also, as far as I know, CAT-5 cable doesn't have a UV rating and probably doesn't like the sun.:)

My 2 cents worth

Bill Mounteer, P.Eng.

I would look at going wireless with directional antenas. Use WEP (no jokes please) and you should be all set.

I utilize a Linksys wireless network and it works superb at 150' with 100% signal strength. I also use WEP as well as firewall software on each machine. I know there are ways to crack WEP but I am not worried as I do not keep my credit card number on my machines or any other personal info. This should be the way to go all for under $200 bucks.

I utilize a Linksys wireless network and it works superb at 150' with 100% signal strength. I also use WEP as well as firewall software on each machine. I know there are ways to crack WEP but I am not worried as I do not keep my credit card number on my machines or any other personal info. This should be the way to go all for under $200 bucks. This gear is rated for 300' but I havent tried it but I here reports that it will work fine. A good way to test this is to use a 2.4ghz cordless phone with the base at one house and the receiver at the other.

For others that might be interested:
I have used Linksys recently and found about 50% failure rate out of the box. Out of 6, 3 were dead. Of the 3 working one intermittently drops link at a distance of 15 feet.
I'm assuming that the original poster has his problem resolved since the thread died for a year. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

edfair,

Out of curiosity, did you purchase all 6 from the same distributor? I've never heard of such inconsistency from any of the major competitors, especially Linksys. Sounds to me like these products weren't straight from the manufacturer if ya know what I mean!! [surprise]

Looks like static or power surges might have found their way in at some point...and of course Ed, we all know it couldn't have happened while in your hands. ;-)
[deejay]
ck_blk@yahoo.com

All 6 came from the same retail source. (CompUSA)
All were WAP11. 3 SW ver 1.4 (1 flakey), 1 ver 1.4f (no link), 1 dead, and 1 that wouldn't get to the setup.
So I went to SMC and ran into their advertised 24/7 technical support fiasco.
When I can't make 'em work at the house, I sure won't put 'em in a customer's office. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back