Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is there a DEVICE MANAGER aliasing trick ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAbramowski

Programmer
Mar 27, 2008
US
For background – please read this posting -
I need to know what methods would be available to VB6 programmers that can allow me to "tweek" the registry. The brief background is :

while the LS2208 barcode scanner is operating in "HID KEYBOARD EMULATION" mode; the scanner communicates with local or remote applications without any trouble.
when you open up the device manager window on either our XP or XPe machines, The single item listed under Human interface devices is a "USB Human interface device".

Looking at its drivers properties I see that this provides HidUsb service, its enumerator is USB and its INSTANCE ID is
USB\VID_05E0&PID_1200\S/N:2CF66B5C6C73494DA53C0D4E96FA27AF_REV:NBRMIAAS3

Now I will perform the mode change that is causing our problems.
I scan the special barcode that puts this device into its "USB OPOS Handheld" Mode. The HID category now has TWO ENTRIES. The entry that existed before is there. But its INSTANCE ID PROPERTY has changed value! That instance id above is now this!

USB\VID_05E0&PID_1300\S/N:2CF66B5C6C73494DA53C0D4E96FA27AF_REV:NBRMIAAS8

notice the PID is now 1300 and at the end its a s8 and not an s3

That new 2nd entry into the HID category, this is listed as an HID-compliant device. this is its instance ID:

HID\VID_05E0&PID_1300\6&750D171&0&0000

And what IS NO LONGER LISTED IS A Device with a PRODUCT ID (PID) of 1200 – and that device ID is the one that is successful with the scanner.ocx

SO here are my questions:
1. Where on this client machine ( my XP registry?, an ini file ? ) is the linkage that connects “STI_USBSCANNER” with
the entry USB\VID_05E0&PID_1300\S/N:2CF66B5C6C73494DA53C0D4E96FA27AF_REV:NBRMIAAS8

2. Why wont the citrix server see the “STI_USBSCANNER” device while desktops and thinclients both see this device?
or in other words - what about this change in the HID listing isnt compatible with the citrix/Termincal services normal rediretion of the clients USB device's output?

3. Is there any registry trickery or citrix/terminal services trickery I can implement so that the Device that IS SEEN BY CITRIX –
USB\VID_05E0&PID_1200\S/N:2CF66B5C6C73494DA53C0D4E96FA27AF_REV:NBRMIAAS3
– is associated with either
USB\VID_05E0&PID_1300\S/N:2CF66B5C6C73494DA53C0D4E96FA27AF_REV:NBRMIAAS8
– And/or with
– “STI_USBSCANNER” ?

Might I suggest a review of
In summary, Citrix only support device-level USB redirection, which means it works with USB barcode readers which emulate keystroke entries (i.e your HID KEYBOARD EMULATION) but not the port-level redirection necessary to support alternatives modes (i.e your USB OPOS Handheld).

Sorry I can't be more positive about finding a solution ...

well Yes that citrix article is a bit of a bummer isnt it. And updated in 2007 too. I guess I am more naive on the topic than I first thought. I thought registry keys showing USB and HID at the start WERE DEVICE LEVEL items. Are these actually port level then?

USB ports (well, the hardware ID found at the port), I'm afraid. At least, as far as I know

its starting to read like the programmer (me) is going to have to do it all. its 2008 and citrix doesnt have a solution for USB barcode scanners other than "pretend you are a keyboard" ? the first year ok. The 2nd and 3rd, mmmm maybe. 2008? FEMA laughs at this..........

I sure hope I stumble on the programmer who can help me code some sort of USB port aliasing....

what I need now is something to let the scanner.ocx that motorola distributes keep control over the device and at the same time let me "intercept/copy/listen in" on whatever characters are heading to the scanner.scandata property. THEN I can take what I intercepted from the scanner and assign it to the active textbox on the form.

arggggghhhh,I need a asprin.....well again THANK you for the info......

It sounds like I'm trying to do about the same thing that you guys are. My client wants to log and time stamp the data from the scanner with my program that will be running in parallel with the primary application. They won't tell me the what the exact primary application is, so I'm shooting in the dark just a bit.

I'm trying to find (or write) a USB port sniffer that will read the data from a Symbol/Motorola LS4000i USB barcode reader.

The scanner.ocx (ver. 3.24) loaded OK on my computer, WinXP sp3. Having played around with the scanner.ocx, but while the scanner seems to connect, I haven't been able to read any data from it. I'm not sure the scanner.ocx is compatible with the LS4000i. I will be trying some additional configurations to see what happens.

I have been able to read the data when using the Motorola Comm Port Emulator USB Driver and configuring the scanner to "Simple Comm Port Emulation" mode. But I'm not sure this will be compatible with the primary application.

Link to comm port emulation USB driver:

If I come up with a USB port sniffer that is compatible I will post a link here.

Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Dawson
James Dawson Controls LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back