Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a BPDU guard (ciscoworld) equivalent for Baystack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulypaul

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2007
I have to co-locate a stack of switches for my department in the same wire closet where there is another network belonging to another company. For some reason we need to share this same floor space. I would like to take all precautions so no one bridges the two networks.

It is my understanding when BPDU guard is enabled on a cisco switch it will block connections if you try and interconnect additional switches. The way it was explained to me was it will sense more than one mac address, and shut down the port.

Is there an equivalent setting in the Nortel Baystack line?

On cisco BPDU guard is a feature of spanning tree. It will close a port with fast start enabled if it detects a stp bpdu. As such it could be used as a method of preventing someone plugging a new switch into a faststart port.

If you just want to prevent people from accidentally plugging a PC into your network, the easiest way is to disable all unused ports.

If you want it for security, there is MAC address-based security. You can define on the switch all your MAC address's and the switch will drop all connections from other MAC's.

Or there is EAP which will authenticate a user before allowing access

to answer your question, I don't care about PC's. Only switches plugging into my switch.

I will look into what you suggest as a start.

thanks

Why not buy an rf mote cabinet? I wouldn't leave my switches unprotected in a common area.

that does not stop someone (idiot) bridging the networks out on the floor with the building wiring.

believe it or not, but I have seen it happen. Someone found a cable loose on the floor, so they plugged it into a mall jack. Little did they know that the other end was also plugged into a wall jack two cubes down the hall.

I have seen it twice in at my company. Once someone made bridged two networks, the second time they made a loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back